Thursday, February 20, 2020

The ultimate blossom experience


I have to admit I have not paid as much attention to plum trees around here as I do to cherry trees instead. It’s probably because they are not as spread as cherry trees, which are literally everywhere, lining the roads, filling the parks, shading the river banks, and so on. And the frenzy around cherry blossom is way bigger, spring rhymes with sakura here in Japan anyway. But right now plum trees are blossoming, and they are a wonderful and delightful sight. Their flowers sometimes get mistaken for cherry or peach flowers, as they are very similar, only the plum flowers have rounder petals.

Little I knew that there is a place not too far from where I live with something like 35,000 (thirty-five THOUSAND) plum trees, and it is something that one really must see in person to understand how many 35,000 trees are. It’s probably the top spot for plum blossom viewing in the whole Japan…and I never went!! Well, until now.

The place to go is called Shimosoga, a quiet farmers’ town stretched between the Shonan seaside and the mountains, where a plum blossom festival is held every year in in February. Based on what I learned on-line about this place, there are three main plum tree groves around the city, although while I was there I couldn’t really tell which was which, or whether I actually went to only one of them or all three….with all those trees I had basically lost my bearings (and I didn’t care).

There is a small information center upon exiting the train station, but no material in English, so to find the grove all I did was to follow some suggested route to some “plum festival tourism organization” on my phone’s maps. And well, it became clear to me I didn’t need to follow a map, I needed to follow the trees: they were literally everywhere just less than 10 min walk off the station. Many trees had already lost most of their flowers, but in fact there was no shortage of blossoms.

There I went, marveling at each and every flower, spending hours by just one tree…and I was just walking by a tiny grove of a handful of them, unaware of what awaited me further down the path! The more I ventured into the grove, the bigger it seemed to get, and there was simply no end to the succession of green grass, dark trees, white, pink, yellow, red flowers, blue sky…

An hour and many many many plum trees later, just when I thought I had seen it all, I was greeted with an even more impressive grove, all made of weeping trees with pink flowers. Oh, and the fragrance!! Yes, plum blossom, compare to the odorless cherry blossom, releases a very delicate and sweet fragrance, the smell of plums was everywhere in the air. At first I didn’t recognize the plum flowers fragrance; I walked past a lone tree and I was hit by the smell thinking that I must have passed someone with some flowery perfume on them, but when I was completely surrounded by trees (and no people) I realized it was Nature’s doing. Lovely.

On top of all that, mount Fuji is visible form the plum grove, and from many other locations in town, actually. And it looks really really close. That’s some terrific backdrop for the plum trees. I can’t say how many pictures I took there, but I took many. What a sight! I can’t even! Nature, oh, Nature! Hold my hand and take me on a non-stop journey of all your phenomenal creatures.

Now, after so many plum trees one may think I have overdosed, and indeed my nostrils and eyes are overstimulated, true. But…the next in line to blossom, the cherry, is almost ready. Japan is ready. I am ready.

**************

Lo devo dire che non ho prestato tanta attenzione alle piante di prugno (o anche noto come albicocco) giapponese quanta agli alberi di ciliegio. Probabilmente e’ dovuto al fatto che non sono diffusi come i ciliegi, che invece stanno lungo le strade, nei parchi, lungo i fiumi, insomma dappertutto. Anche la mania dei fiori di ciliegio e’ più pronunciata, e di fatto primavera qui in Giappone fa rima con sakura. Ma proprio in questi giorni i cugini dei ciliegi stanno fiorendo, e sono un evento a dir poco bellissimo. I fiori di prugno vengono spesso confusi con quelli di ciliegio o di pesca visto che sono molto simili, ma una cosa che li distingue e’ la forma dei petali più arrotondata per il prugno.

Una cosa che non sapevo e’ che poco lontano da dove abito c’e’ un posto con circa 35000 alberi di prugno (TRENTACINQUE MILA), e per avere una stima di quante siano 35000 piante bisogna andare a vedere di persona. Probabilmente questo posto e’ il luogo migliore in tutto il Giappone per vedere la fioritura. E pensare che fino ad ora non ci sono mai stata!

La destinazione si chiama Shimosoga, una città tranquilla fatta di produttori agricoli che si trova tra la costa e le montagne, e dove ogni anno a Febbraio si tiene il festival del prugno in fiore. In base a quanto sono riuscita a sapere al riguardo, tramite ricerche on-line, ci sono tre maggiori piantagioni intorno alla città, anche se mentre mi trovavo li in mezzo non era facile sapere in quale delle tre fossi, o se sono rimasta sempre nella stessa o no…in pratica ho perso l’orientamento, ma non mi importava.

C’e’ un piccolo centro informazioni in un edificio proprio fuori dalla stazione del treno, ma non c’era materiale in inglese, quindi per trovare “il posto” non ho fatto altro che seguire la rotta suggerita dalla mappa nel mio telefono che mi portava alla destinazione “organizzazione turistica del festival del prugno”. Che poi, bastava dare un’occhio a dove erano gli alberi in fiore, visto che praticamente circondavano la città, altro che mappe. Molte piante avevano gia perso la maggior parte delle infiorescenze, ma comunque non c’era rischio di restare senza fiori.

Ed eccomi li, a meravigliarmi di fronte a ogni singolo bocciolo, a passare ore davanti a un albero….e mi trovavo solo nei pressi di un boschetto di una decina di piante, ignara di quello che mi attendeva lungo il cammino. Più mi addentravo nel pruneto, più mi sembrava non finire mai, e difatti non c’era fine alla successione di erba verde, alberi suoi, fiori bianchi, rosa, rossi, gialli, cielo blu…

Un’oretta e tanti tanti tanti alberi più tardi, proprio quando pensavo di aver gia visto tutto, vado incontro a un pruneto ancora più meraviglioso, fatto tutto di piante con fiori rosa, dai rami pendenti. E che profumo! Si, invece di quelli di ciliegio che sono inodore, i fiori di prugno rilasciano una fragranza delicata e dolce, e era ovunque nell’aria. Dapprima non avevo capito cosa fosse il profumo che sentivo, quasi pensavo fosse una persona che mi era passata accanto, ma poi invece quando mi sono ritrovata in mezzo agli alberi fioriti, e senza persone attorno, mi sono resa conto che non erano altre persone, ma la natura.

E a rincarare la dose, il monte Fuji si vedeva benissimo dal pruneto, sembrava proprio esserci davanti. Questo si che e’ stato uno sfondo bestiale. Non dico quante foto ho fatto, ma ne ho fatte tante. Che vista! Che natura! 

Ora, dopo aver visto cosi tanti alberi in fiore uno potrebbe pure pensare che ne ho abbastanza…e pero’… i ciliegi sono i prossimi nella lista, e sono quasi pronti. Il Giappone e’ pronto, e io sono pronta.









No comments:

Post a Comment