Wednesday, June 17, 2020

The Distance

For the past 5 months I have been distancing from people, I did that while I was in Japan and I am doing it while in Sicily, so for me nothing has changed in this regard. I am more nervous now than when I was in Japan, though: Europe is opening back its internal borders, and everyone is so eager to gear up and behave like no virus is around that I am struggling with observing the distance practices.


It was easy in Japan because people there don’t physically interact much, as per cultural and social habits, whereas it is almost impossible here, where the Italians are perhaps one of the most closely interactive people. Here, I am not that concerned of becoming sick myself, rather about my parents becoming sick from me, because I am in the same household… there still is the chance that I become infected if I start hanging out at places where many people are, and I bring the infection home with me.


Fortunately in the rural areas like my hometown, even during lockdown, keeping distances is still doable because most people have all they need to be apart: big homes with large rooms, plenty of outdoor space, pieces of land with vegetable gardens, fruit orchards, a handful of chickens or other farm animals. We could still host huge parties in our backyards and still be at a safe distance from one another! In short, and sorry for rubbing it in, my quarantine is better than yours.


Japan has definitely nurtured my introversion, this I can tell: I am totally liking the whole “social distancing” thing, I find myself in my element. I finally have the perfect excuse for not having to hug or kiss people, not arranging to meet friends, not joining big events. I am spending my days at home doing the most different things, but I mainly work to finish what I was doing in Japan before leaving. Let’s call it actually volunteering, since I don’t get paid for it anymore, and attitude to finish what I have started. I do not have a proper office space here, and it is summertime, so I can’t say I am super productive at the moment, but right now this “work” is -besides interesting- another great excuse not to interact with the outside world hehe.


But while everyone else around me, including my parents, begin to loosen their guard, I am hesitating and instead try to remind people it’s not the time to put everything behind us. It’s quite the contrary. Sometimes I think I am the only one with a bit of common sense here, but on the other hand I know that eventually one has to begin from somewhere, get back to work, go out in the evenings, travel, meet friends and family…


***********


Da ormai 5 mesi sto a distanza dalle persone, lo facevo in Giappone e lo faccio qui in Sicilia, quindi, da questo punto di vista, nulla e’ cambiato. Pero’ sono più nervosa qui che quando ero in Giappone: l’Europa riapre i confini interni e tutti sono ormai pronti a comportarsi come se non ci fosse nessun virus in giro tanto che io ho difficolta a osservare le dovute distanze. In Giappone era più facile perché le persone, sia per cultura che per abitudini sociali, non interagiscono molto fisicamente, mentre qui e’ praticamente impossibile visto che gli italiani sono forse il popolo che sta a contatto di più.


Che poi non sono tanto preoccupata che possa ammalarmi, quanto che tramite me possano ammalarsi i miei genitori visto che sono nella stessa casa con loro…c’e’ infatti sempre la possibilità che se incomincio a uscire e frequentare posti affollati possa infettarmi e portare il virus a casa con me. Per fortuna nelle aree rurali come il mio paese, persino durante la chiusura totale, si può ancora mantenere una certa distanza perché la gente ha tutto quello che serve per stare lontani: case grandi con stanze ampie, tanto spazio all’aperto, pezzi di terra adibiti a orto, giardino, addirittura allevamento di polli o altro. In pratica potremmo sempre organizzare feste con tante persone e comunque riuscire a mantenere una distanza di sicurezza uno dall’altro. Insomma, in questo caso, e mi dispiace dirvelo in faccia cosi, la mia quarantena e’ migliore della vostra.


Posso pero’ dire con certezza che il Giappone ha alimentato bene la mia voglia di distaccarmi: questa cosa del “distanziamento sociale” mi piace proprio, mi trovo nel mio elemento, finalmente ho la scusa perfetta per non dover baciare o abbracciare nessuno, non incontrare gli amici, non partecipare a grossi eventi. Passo i miei giorni a casa a fare le cose più disparate, ma per lo più lavoro per terminare quello che stavo facendo il Giappone prima di andarmene. Anzi, non lavoro ma volontariato, visto che non sono più pagata, e voglia di finire quello che ho iniziato. Non ho un vero e proprio ufficio qui, e poi e’ estate, quindi non posso certo dire di essere molto produttiva al momento…ma per adesso questo “lavoro” oltre a essere interessante e’ un’altra scusa perfetta per non interagire col mondo haha.


Ma mentre tutti intorno a me, inclusi i miei genitori, iniziano a abbassare la guardia io esito e provo a rammentare alle persone che non siamo al punto di lasciarci tutto alle spalle, anzi…A volte penso che sono l’unica con un pizzico di buon senso, ma e’ pur vero che prima o poi uno deve incominciare da qualche parte, tornare a lavoro, uscire la sera, viaggiare, incontrare amici e parenti…



No comments:

Post a Comment