Thursday, July 30, 2020

On the move

Those who have time, don’t waste time. It is something we preach all the time, but practically never stick to it.


I always find us humans tend to prioritize things in the wrong way, sometimes. Typical example: you probably know half of the world like the palm of your hand, but know very little about the country you’re born and lived in most of your life. Sounds familiar? Another typical example is the same situation I am in at the moment: I return to my home country, to my home town, and stay there for months; despite that, I postpone meeting this person or that, going to that place or that other, as I give priority to something else first, then get busy with totally different engagements. 


This year I spent a total of three months in my home town and it is time for me to leave again and find my fortune. All of a sudden (as if we didn’t know how it would go right?) there is no time, people want to meet, all of them the very same last day. It’s a problem, but it is not a new problem, it’s always like that at the end of a holiday. No matter how long or how short.


Big family gatherings are the best thing in these circumstances, because one gets to meet everybody at once. There is chaos, chatter, too much food, noise, and yet the sense of connection is rewarding, the family ties are reassuring. It is a big gathering, alright, which is already a challenge for me, but I have to admit it is the solution to all difficulties. You only see them once and you’re through with it. Perfect.

OK, this time things are very different, as we are forced to get by in ways we weren’t used to just up until half a year earlier…but you get what I mean.


I of course wish I had used my time here more proactively, as spending three months home was an opportunity that will not come around again any time soon (hopefully we won’t see any more pandemics for at least another century or so). Yet, I am sort of glad I had some time for myself as well…hope those I haven’t had time nor a chance to meet won’t hold a grudge. It’s already difficult in normal times, imagine in these times. I said goodbye to those I could, I met more than once those I could, and I went out when I deemed I could do so. For all the rest, I have to postpone to the next available chance.


************


Chi ha tempo non perda tempo. Lo diciamo sempre ma non lo facciamo in pratica mai.


Trovo sempre che noi esseri umani tendiamo a dare priorità a cose nella maniera sbagliata, a volte. Esempio tipico: probabilmente conosciamo meglio meta’ del mondo che il paese in cui siamo nati e cresciuti. Vi suona familiare? Un altro esempio tipico e’ lo stesso che mi capita adesso: torno nella mia terra d’origine, a casa, e sto li per mesi; e a dispetto di ciò rimando l’incontrare questa o quell’altra persona, l’andare qui o li, visto che trovo sempre qualcosa di più importante o mi ritrovo con altri impegni.


Quest’anno ho passato ben tre mesi a casa dei miei, ed e’ gia tempo per me di ripartire e cercare fortuna. All’improvviso (come se nessuno se lo aspettasse, no?) non c’e’ più tempo, tutti mi vogliono incontrare lo stesso ultimo giorno a disposizione. E’ un problema, ma non e’ un problema nuovo…e’ sempre cosi’ alla fine di una vacanza, non importa quanto lunga o corta.


In questi casi la cosa migliore sono le riunioni di famiglia, perché uno vede tutti in una volta sola. C’e’ caos, chiacchiera, troppo da mangiare, rumore, eppure c’e’ comunione, i legami familiari sono rassicuranti. Si certo, e’ una riunione di grossa, che gia per me rappresenta una difficolta, ma devo ammettere che e’ la soluzione a tutte le difficolta. Perfetta proprio.

Certo, stavolta le cose sono molto diverse, visto che siamo forzati a arrangiarci in modi a cui non eravamo abituati giusto mezzo anno fa….ma sono sicura che avete capito che intendo.


Chiaro, mi sarebbe piaciuto aver usato il mio tempo in maniera migliore, visto che passare tre mesi a casa e’ stata un’opportunità che non ritornerà presto (infatti spero che non ci siano altre pandemie per almeno un altro centennio). Eppure non mi dispiace aver avuto del tempo per me. Spero che chi non ho avuto modo di incontrare non se la prenda. Gia e’ difficile in circostanze normali, immaginiamo ora. Ho salutato chi ho potuto, ho incontrato chi ho potuto, e sono uscita quando l’ho ritenuto possibile. Per tutto il resto, devo posticipare alla prossima data disponibile.

No comments:

Post a Comment