Thursday, December 26, 2019

Ending the decade


Quietly, inexorably, this year has come near its end. Also, an entire decade is going to end. The latest social media trend wants users to review their last decade, compare things between 10 years ago and now…I actually do something like that more or less every year, this time around, and right now I don’t need to open drawers from 10 years back. Although….things were fun then. I do actually have a better time frame, which starts when I arrived in Japan and ends this year.

Yes. Together with the year, I end my job too, a few months shy of 13 years after I started in the very same company, in the very same country as of now. Although I planned everything ahead of time, my brain hasn’t yet fully processed what’s happening…because I don’t have time for that. I don’t say that to dismiss carelessly the events, but because I really don’t have the time to sit and assimilate properly…I am still on a roll and if I stop I crash. I don’t want to think about it for now. This year was essentially a continuation of the previous one: I thought I could finally work less and enjoy life more, but, heh, here I am busy and stressed, still working although I am on paid vacation. Yes, same old story, we never learn.

Though, I don’t feel sad, I don’t have regrets, I instead feel I have accomplished a lot for myself. I’ve gone a long way from new graduate in Sicily to technical personnel, to doctoral graduate, to researcher in Japan. Each and every step along this career path have been some level of difficult, seemingly impossible at times, a breezy walk at other times, but in the end I have accumulated knowledge, experience, skills and developed strength and a thick skin. Not to mention the amazing people I have met along the way and I can still call friends after so many years, regardless of where our life paths took us.

What will be of me in the new year then? We’ll find that out soon enough. One sure thing is that I haven’t cut my ties wth Japan yet.

While quickly reviewing my past year, as per usual, I realized something: for the first time I didn’t feel the absolute necessity to spend the summer at the beach, which is something I’d have not renounced something like 10 years ago (there I go, conforming to the trend). We age, and we change way of thinking, I guess, or maybe we just lose some of the enthusiasm…I went to the beach here in Japan only one time this year. This is not because the beach is far, rather because it is not good enough, relaxing enough, and when it’s good enough (like in Okinawa), it is too much work to get to (I’d have to plan, book, fly, et cetera). Same thing for the winter season: for the first time since I developed a passion for snowy mountains, I only went snowboarding twice at the beginning of the year, and I haven’t yet felt the urge to hit the slopes this season…but in this case it is not just because I’m getting older (or grumpier): days have been relatively warm and sunny, until now, and as much as I enjoy the views of mountains and snow-coated villages, I want these balmy weather conditions to last forever. Also, I should buy me a new snowboard, as mine went fubar last season, and somehow not having one is helping at keeping me away from the white mountains. Hopefully later in the season I will go.

Anyway, the year in general has been rather eventful, in terms of natural phenomena/disasters, and fueled by lack of humanity as well, and I better don’t even start commenting on all that’s happened and all that’s still going on.

I close with hopes of peace, respect for each other and for the nature, care for the weak and sick, faith in the human kind and in the future.

Happy holidays to all of you.

****************

Con fare silenzioso e inesorabile, anche quest’anno, anzi un decennio, volge al termine. La tendenza del periodo e’ di paragonare come si era 10 anni fa con come si e’ adesso…io faccio qualcosa di simile ogni anno di questi tempi, e per ora non ho tanta voglia di andare a rovistare nei cassetti di 10 anni fa. Anche se…ci si divertiva parecchio qualche anno fa. A dire il vero ho un intervallo temporale migliore, che incomincia quando sono arrivata in Giappone e finisce quest’anno.

E si. In parallelo all’anno che se ne va, anche la mia esperienza lavorativa si ferma qui, quasi 13 anni da quando ho iniziato nella stessa azienda e nella stessa nazione di adesso. Anche se ho iniziato a organizzare tutto con largo anticipo, non ho ancora compreso del tutto quello che sta accadendo…perché non ho tempo. Non dico ciò con leggerezza e noncuranza, ma intendo dire che davvero non ho tempo per fermarmi e assimilare il tutto…sono in pieno movimento e se mi fermo si rompe tutto. Non ci posso pensare per il momento, no. Quest’anno e’ andato, in sostanza e’ stato un continuare con la tendenza dell’anno precedente: pensavo che avrei finalmente lavorato meno e goduto il tempo libero di più, e invece sto qui ancora a lavorare nonostante sia gia in ferie. Va a finire sempre cosi, sempre.

Comunque, non mi sento triste, ne’ ho rimpianti, e in cuor mio so che ho fatto tanto. Ne ho fatta di strada dalla laurea, in Sicilia, a iniziare in Giappone come tecnico, poi fare il dottorato e lavorare come ricercatrice. Certo, ognuna di queste tappe ha avuto le sue difficolta’, o addirittura sembrava a volte insormontabile o a volte una passeggiata, ma alla fine ho accumulato esperienza e abilita’, e ho anche rafforzato il carattere. Non parliamo poi delle persone meravigliose che ho conosciuto e che ancora oggi posso considerare amiche a prescindere da quali strade abbia preso ognuno di noi.

Che faro’ quindi nel nuovo anno? Lo scopriremo presto. Una cosa e’ sicura: il mio legame con il Giappone non si e’ ancora interrotto del tutto.

Nel mio usuale riassunto dell’anno mi sono resa conto di una cosa: per la prima volta non ho sentito il bisogno impellente di andare al mare d’estate, una cosa a cui 10 anni fa ad esempio (eccoci, conformiamoci con il trend) non avrei mai rinunciato. Si invecchia e si cambiano abitudini, forse, oppure e’ che ho perso l’entusiasmo…quest’anno sono stata al mare solo una volta, non perché la spiaggia fosse lontana, ma più che altro perché non e’ tanto bella, o non abbastanza rilassante, e quelle volte in cui mi piace il mare (tipo Okinawa), ci vuole un sacco per andarci (guarda, organizza, prenota, prendi l’aereo, eccetera). La stessa situazione per l’inverno: per la prima volta da quando ho scoperto la passione per le montagne innevate, sono stata sulle piste solo due volte all’inizio dell’anno e ancora non sento l’esigenza di andare quest’inverno…in questo caso pero’  non e’ solo perché sto invecchiando (o diventando più poltrona); stavolta e’ che fino ad ora le giornate sono state tiepide e soleggiate e nonostante mi piacciano tanto le viste dei villaggi e delle vette innevati, vorrei che queste condizioni climatiche durassero per sempre. In aggiunta, dovrei comprare un nuovo snowboard, visto che l’ho distrutto, e non averne uno nuovo mi trattiene un po’ dall’andare. Magari speriamo in una capatina o due più avanti nella stagione sciistica.

In ogni caso, quest’anno in generale e’ stato pieno di eventi, sia relativamente a fenomeni/disastri naturali, sia alimentato da odio e carenza di umanità. Meglio neanche iniziare il discorso.
Finisco con speranze di pace, rispetto per il prossimo e per la natura, aiuto ai deboli e malati, fiducia nel futuro e negli altri.

Buone feste a tutti.





No comments:

Post a Comment