Thursday, October 4, 2018

Siblings in Tokyo

Whenever I go somewhere in Tokyo or in Japan, I can’t but marvel at the fact that I do live in a wonderful place. I walk the streets in Shibuya, see all the screens and lights and think how nice it would be for family and friends to see it for themselves.

But Japan is not the easiest country to get to, if you live in Sicily. Mother did visit me once, for 10 days. That was a bit tough on her because she doesn’t speak English and so had to depend on me for getting around. But she liked what she saw, which means Tokyo is mom-approved and consequently I am no longer in the “people to worry about” list. 

My eldest brother traveled to Tokyo for business once, several years back, and he stayed long enough for us to meet and hang out a few times (here).

Eventually my other older brother did recently come to Tokyo, on a business trip as well. Knowing that he doesn’t want to stay away from his family for too long, the news of his trip to Tokyo made me jump with happiness and surprise. Indeed, he traveled all the way to my side of the world for just 4 days (including flights)…We know what that means. Were it not for a bank holiday during his stay I would have not been able to see him at all. We just spent one evening together, so there wasn’t much time for anything else but a walk and dinner. 

We were accompanied by his colleagues, one of them having lived in Tokyo before; no need to say that because of the prior experience he self-elected to be guide/translator/route planner, which at one point came across as annoying to me since, uhm, hello?, well, I currently live here? Anyhow, I knew better than interfere with what we know being some typical, innate male show-off attitude. At least, while with him, my brother didn’t need to worry about a thing in matters of getting around the megalopolis. But…whoever claims to have lived in Tokyo long enough to know all but can’t tell the names Shinjuku and Shibuya apart…makes me giggle. So, at some point I took a silent revenge and I suggested a longer, complicated and more expensive route to reach the bay area (I had given my brother a topped up commute card so he simply sat back and enjoyed the rides). Muhaha.

Given the very very short time at our disposal as said, we had to pick what to see. There could have been millions of valid choices, but I suggested to see Shibuya’s (in)famous crossing and then Shinjuku where we would stop for dinner. There, my brother and I went to an izakaya (the Japanese equivalent of a pub) to let bro try a few Japanese favorite bites, while the others wanted to eat something Italian. Boo. I was glad for this separation as for the first (and only) time I could just sit down and chat with my brother without being interrupted. I wished that dinner lasted forever.

The last stop was Odaiba, the bay area. From there one has a glimpse of the city’s size and glowing look. Definitely a must-see at night, even with very little time available.

I don’t know much of what my brother did during his working days, but I do know that he was treated with nice dinners. Now the hope is that, as he broke the wall of intercontinental flights, he’ll be flying to the far East more often while I’m still living in Tokyo. With the inclusion of a weekend in the trip plan.

*****************

Ogni volta che mi trovo da qualche parte a Tokyo o in Giappone non posso che stupirmi di fronte alla meravigliosa realtà che vivo. Passeggio per le strade di Shibuya con tutti i suoi mega schermi e le sue luci e penso quanto sarebbe bello poter mostrare tutto ciò alla mia famiglia o agli amici. E pero’ il Giappone non e’ proprio abbordabile se uno viaggia dalla Sicilia. Mia mamma e’ venuta una volta ed e’ rimasta per 10 giorni. E’ stata dura per lei visto che non parla inglese e doveva affidarsi a me per andare in giro. Pero’ le e’ piaciuto tutto quello che ha visto, quindi Tokyo e’ oramai approvata dalla mamma e di conseguenza io non sono più nella lista delle persone di cui preoccuparsi.

Mio fratello maggiore e’ venuto anche lui una volta per lavoro, qualche anno fa, e la sua permanenza e’ stata lunga abbastanza da poterci vedere più di una volta (qui).

E infine anche il mio secondo fratello e’ riuscito, sempre per visita di lavoro, a fare un salto di recente. Sapendo che non vuole stare lontano dalla famiglia per troppo tempo, la notizia di un suo viaggio a Tokyo mi ha colta di sorpresa. Difatti e’ venuto per appena 4 giorni, incluso il volo. E sappiamo bene cosa vuol dire. Se non ci fosse stato un giorno festivo durante la sua permanenza, non saremo riusciti a vederci per nulla. Infatti ci siamo visti solo per una sera, quindi a parte trovare un posto dove cenare non ho suggerito altro…non c’era altro tempo.

Con noi c’erano i suoi colleghi, di cui uno ha vissuto a Tokyo e quindi in virtu di tale esperienza precedente si e’ auto eletto a guida/interprete/organizzatore…cosa che a me ha dato un poco fastidio a un certo punto dato che…beh….insomma…io a Tokyo….OK. No comment. Comunque, meglio non interferire con il noto atteggiamento innato tipico dell’uomo che ostenta. Per lo meno potevo essere sicura del fatto che se mio fratello era con lui non si doveva preoccupare per spostamenti e appuntamenti e altro. Pero’… diciamocelo… chiunque si vanta del fatto che sa tutto di Tokyo e ci ha vissuto a lungo e poi mi confonde ripetutamente Shinjuku con Shibuya, beh…mi fa sorridere. Al che, a un certo punto mi sono presa la mia muta rivincita proponendo un giro lungo, complicato e più caro per raggiungere la baia da dove ci trovavamo (mio fratello, a cui avevo dato una carta per i trasporti, si e’ semplicemente goduto il tragitto).

Come detto prima, visto il poco tempo a disposizione, bisognava selezionare cosa vedere. Ora, ci possono essere milioni di scelte diverse e tutte valide, ma io ho suggerito di andare a Shibuya per vedere il famoso incrocio affollato, e poi Shinjuku dove fermarsi per cena. Una volta li, io e mio fratello siamo andati in una izakaya cosi da assaggiare alcuni dei cibi tipici giapponesi, mentre gli altri hanno optato per cena italiana. Buuu. A me sta separazione pero’ e’ piaciuta cosi che per la prima (e sola) volta ho potuto chiacchierare un pochino con mio fratello e basta. Avrei voluto che la cena non finisse mai.

L’ultima tappa e’ stata Odaiba, la baia. Da li’ si ha una veduta bellissima della città di sera, con tutte le sue luci. Un panorama da vedere assolutamente, anche quando si ha pochissimo tempo.

Non so che altro sia riuscito a fare mio fratello nei suoi giorni di visita lavorativa, ma so che le cene gli sono state molto ma molto gradite. Ora la speranza per me e’ che, ormai che ha infranto il muro dei voli intercontinentali, mio fratello visiti Tokyo più spesso mentre mi trovo qui. Con incluso un fine settimana.





No comments:

Post a Comment