Sunday, May 31, 2015

There is commute and commute

Life has now meaning, purpose and 24 gears.

I got me a sports bike. Mostly because I was in desperate need of an alternative to the dreadful Meguro-Yokohama commute I was meant to endure twice a day due to my new temp routine, and not really because I needed a bike. In fact, I own a bike already, but it is one of those old rusted sets of wheels that's only good to collect dust which, btw, I haven't used it in more than 3 years.
Of course, now that I have a real one, and now that I have tried long distance riding, I am going to make the best out of the purchase.

First, riding pants (with the soft padding), because if don't wear them, after 40KM of cycling in one day I will need a hospital bed. Opening a parenthesis for a second, how da F do cyclists survive the torture? I mean, with all the proper wear and all, I still feel I feel nothing anymore down there...

Second, a helmet, kids size, because, heh, in Japan my head is very small.

Third, a bell, because it is pink and matches the straps in my helmet. Not essential, but I find pleasure in snapping people out of their trances...remember, their lack of spacial awareness, their special gift of getting in your way? Terrifying foreign woman on wheels I am.

My long commute is suddenly not so long after all and didn't feel that bad: on my bike I cover the 20KM distance home-office within one hour, or a bit over one hour depending on traffic or route, I don't have to queue or squeeze or transfer or do all those scary things all commuters experience. I am free, I am on the road, I can see the sunset from the river, I have time to think, I am getting a lot of exercise, I stay away from home and the dog one hour less.

I settled on two possible routes: the fastest which is on two main roads only, really really boring but requires alert at all times; the prettiest which is mostly along the river and is much safer. The fastest route is the one I opted for most of the times in the first week, because I wanted to get me as little time as possible away from home (and there I could speed).

The other route is, instead the choice for the second week, along the Tama river, which originates in Yamanashi prefecture, west of Tokyo, borders Tokyo prefecture and joins the sea in Kanagawa prefecture. Now there is al lot of stuff happening daily along the wide river banks, like oldies golf, kids soccer and baseball, football, oldies tennis, running and cycling, dog walking, picnics and more. It's always nice to ride that path, above the river level, because one can see all of those activities happening, or simply admire nature (trees, water, birds), breathe fresh air (and mosquitos), feel sorry for the cars stuck in the traffic jam right below...in short, one can see life happening. I can't count the photos I had to take each ride, just because it was all so pretty!

The cycling path I ride on one side of the river is such that it goes without interruptions (no bridges to cross, no traffic lights) from the point I get on it at Futakotamagawa, until the moment I get off it to join Route 1, one of the major traffic arteries connecting Tokyo and Yokohama. Now, why isn't it possible to have a smooth, even, wide riding path instead of the patched, bumpy, cracked, narrow one we're using? I mean, that's what I mean with pain and suffering while cycling! And it slows down bikes too!

But a few tricks to pain less can be learned...after the first few days on the road, after having tried both routes, I already knew when and how to dodge lights, cars and trucks, mindless pedestrians and mamachari riders, holes in the ground and other unevennesses. Couple this with the augmented leg power (and tripled calories eaten), and voila, even on the longer route, by the river, I managed to keep the time below the hour. Bike racers, fear me!

***************

La vita ora ha un significato, un obiettivo e 24 marce.

Ho una bici sportiva. Piu' che altro perche' volevo disperatamente un'alternativa al tragitto Meguro-Yokohama che mi si prospettava per cinque giorni alla settimana vista la mia routine temporanea, piuttosto che per sfizio. Che poi, una bici ce l'ho gia', una di queste economiche che si arrugginiscono presto e sono buone solo a raccogliere polvere (tra l'altro la mia non la uso da almeno tre anni).
Ma ora che ho una bici seria, la prendo seriamente e mi arrangio per bene.

Prima di tutto, pantaloni da ciclismo, quelli con l'imbottitura...perche', parliamoci chiaro, dopo 40KM al giorno in sella mi serve un ricovero in ospedale. Che, poi, aprendo una parentesi piccola, come cavolo fanno i ciclisti a sopravvivere a questa tortura? Dico, se gia' io con tutte le imbottiture del caso ho perso ogni sensibilita' alle zone basse....

Seconda cosa, un casco. Di quelli per bambini, perche' pare che qui in Giappone la mia testa e' molto piccola.

Terzo, un campanello. E non perche' me ne serva uno davvero, ma mi sento sadica e provo proprio tanto piacere nel far tornare la gente alla realta'...che qui sono tutti con la testa tra le nuvole, immersi nel loro mondo, e vuoi o non vuoi ti stanno sempre in mezzo ai piedi...ecco.
Tutto ad un tratto il tragitto casa-ufficio non e' piu' lungo ne' impossibile: con la bici ci sto poco peno o poco piu' di un'ora dipende dal traffico o da che strada prendo, e non mi tocca piu' cambiare treni, stare in mezzo alla calca, fare file, e tutte quelle cose terrificanti a cui i pendolari vanno incontro...ora sono libera, modalita' on the road, ho tempo di divagare con la mente, posso ammirare i tramonti, sto via da casa per meno tempo e faccio un sacco di esercizio.
Alla fine, ci sono due percorsi che posso fare: la piu' veloce lungo due grosse arterie urbane, che diciamocelo e'abbastanza noiosa ma richiede molta attenzione; la piu' bella e piu' sicura lungo il fiume. Visto che la via piu' veloce mi avrebbe tenuta meno tempo via da casa, e' stata la scelta per la maggior parte della prima settimana.
L'altro percorso, lungo il fiume Tama, e' stato invece la scelta principale per la seconda settimana. E ho potuto osservare vecchietti giocare a golf o tennis, ragazzi e bambini giocare a calcio e baseball, gente che corre, che va in bici, che porta a spasso il cane, insomma e' proprio bello farsi la strada lungo il fiume, sopraelevata, si puo' anche osservare la natura, si prova un po' di conforto nel vedere che invece, nella strada di sotto, la gente e' imbottigliata nel traffico....insomma, si puo' osservare la vita. E non parliamo delle centinaia, migliaia di foto che ho fatto ogni volta!
In un lato del fiume il percorso e' praticamente ininterrotto, niente semafori, niente ponti da attraversare, per tutto il tragitto che faccio. Ora pero' mi chiedo, perche' mai la strada e' piena di crepe, dossi e tappezzata invece che essere bella liscia, larga, uniforme? Poi chiaro che uno che se la fa in bici soffre...
Ma con la perseveranza si imparano anche alcuni trucchi per dolere meno: infatti dopo i primi giorni a provare entrambi i percorsi, uno sa quando e come schivare le altre macchine, i semafori, i pedoni, le buche e le varie difformita' dell'asfalto. Aggiungici poi l'aumentata forza nelle gambe (e l'aumento vertiginoso di calorie), ed ecco che anche il percorso piu' lungo lo si fa in meno di un'ora. Ciclisti, incominciate a tremare!







No comments:

Post a Comment