Saturday, August 24, 2019

Expat problems IX - Naming and identity


It was the year 2007 and I was complaining about not being granted a credit card from the bank(s) I opened an account (see here). Back then, after many unsuccessful trials, I was basically forced to open a checking account in Italy (before that, as I was a student and was supported by my parents, I had none) and transfer the money there for whenever I needed to use a credit card. That was not a good solution, since I was charged for the money transfer and the currency exchange.

A few years later -FINALLY- my company got an agreement with the overly traditional, old-style national bank we were coerced to affiliate to, so that we could get corporate credit cards, although they were issued by a DIFFERENT bank. At least I could close my account in Italy. Now, more than a decade later I still complain about banking and credit cards, although for a different reason.

Said credit card being a corporate one, it will be canceled on the day I will eventually resign, and so in view of a future, continued access to my account for electronic payments I prepared way ahead and obtained another credit card. But not from the bank where my account is. The way it works in Japan is that apart from the obvious option of banks (except mine, clearly) people can get credit cards form every major business like mall chains, airline or retail companies, an so on. These businesses essentially give you the credit upfront and your bank then pays them directly every month form your account. And I guess, because of the existence of these companies, banks can still pretend the world revolves around cash.

Compared to my earlier attempts, now it is relatively easier to successfully obtain a credit card. I indeed requested a credit card, eventually received it, set up a virtual account with all the required information and started using it right away. So far so good. Only, my bank could not authorize the direct transfer simply because the name I gave to the credit card company doesn’t match the one I gave the bank…I know I’ve lost you here. I mean, how can I have different names?

OK, so with foreign names Japan is confusing, as there is no general consensus for how you need to give your full name: sometimes it is required that you write your name in roman alphabet letters, sometimes in the Japanese syllable alphabet, sometimes both. Often, people translate your name into the Japanese alphabet in slightly different way, as it relies on phonetics, and that is also an issue (at work I am often  asked to pronounce an italian word so they know form the sound how to write it).

What I understood happened in my banking odyssey is that while my name was registered in roman alphabet for the bank, it was in katakana for the credit card account. So, whenever the money transfer has to happen, the bank refuses it due to the discrepancy. Oh, and the fact that in both cases my name info are anyway stored in both alphabets doesn’t seem to solve the issue, since the “official” name used in the paperwork is different (insert lengthy swearing rant here).

More unnerving is the fact that I amended the details with the card company TWICE, but to no avail, and the fact that I assured the bank I am the same person doesn’t seem to be enough to get the transfer through. And so, if I use this new credit card, I am sent a bill at the end of each month with the total amount to pay to the crediting company….basically all the convenience of having a credit card is gone. This is such bullshit.

I then found a phone number I could call and ask for English language support. I did ask for support, was given none (I mean, I was told what I already knew, not what to do to solve my issues). Eventually, after a couple of phone calls and form applications, it seems the issue might be fixed “from next month”.

We’ll see. Wish me luck.

*****************

Era il lontano 2007 e mi lamentavo del fatto che non mi veniva consegnata una carta di credito dalla(e) banca(che) dove avevo aperto il conto (vedi qui). Fu allora che, dopo tante prove e un nulla di fatto, sono stata costretta ad aprire un conto in Italia (prima di allora, essendo stata studente mantenuta, non ne avevo avuto bisogno) e trasferire fondi ogni volta che dovevo usare la carta. Non era certo una soluzione ottimale, visto che dovevo pagare sia le spese di trasferimento sia le spese di cambio valuta.

Qualche anno dopo, e direi era pure ora, la mia azienda e la stravecchia, tradizionale banca nazionale a cui eravamo forzatamente affiliati, si sono accordate e cosi potevamo ottenere la carta di credito, emessa pero’ da una banca DIVERSA. E quindi ho poi potuto chiudere il mio conto in Italia. Ora, dopo più di un decennio, mi lamento ancora di banche e carte di credito, seppure per un motivo diverso.

La suddetta carta di credito e’ di proprietà dell’azienda, il che significa che se in futuro lascio l’azienda la mia carta viene annullata. Cosi con largo anticipo, in previsione di poter attingere ai miei fondi senza intoppi, ho provato a ottenere una carta di credito non aziendale. Ma non dalla mia banca. In Giappone, a parte l’opzione ovvia delle banche (a parte la mia naturalmente), si possono ottenere carte di credito dalle grosse aziende, tipo centri commerciali, compagnie aeree eccetera. In pratica queste compagnie ti danno il credito a cui attingi, poi la banca a fine mese li paga dal tuo conto. E secondo me, vista l’esistenza di queste compagnie, le banche continuano a far finta che la società si basa sul contante.

Rispetto ai miei tentativi iniziali, ora e’ relativamente facile avere una carta di credito. E difatti, ho fatto richiesta, ho ottenuto alla fine una carta, ho creato un mio conto virtuale e ho subito iniziato a usare la carta. Fin qui tutto bene. Il problema si e’ poi verificato al momento di trasferire fondi dal mio conto, perché il nome che ho usato per la carta di credito non combacia con quello usato per la banca, quindi la banca non ha autorizzato il trasferimento…OK, vi ho persi lo so. Come posso avere nomi diversi?

Allora, con i nomi stranieri in Giappone c’e’ abbastanza confusione perché non c’e’ una regola unificata su come scrivere il proprio nome: a volte va scritto in lettere romane, a volte in alfabeto giapponese, coi simboli, a volte entrambi i modi. Succede anche che spesso che lo stesso nome possa essere tradotto in maniera diversa, visto che dipende dalla fonetica, e questo e’ pure un problema (al lavoro mi viene spesso chiesto di pronunciare delle parole in italiano cosi sanno come scriverle).

Quello che ho capito sia successo nella mia odissea bancaria e’ che in banca hanno voluto il mio nome in alfabeto romano, per la carta di credito hanno voluto quello in giapponese. E quindi, visto che i due nomi tra banca e compagnia di credito non combaciavano, il rimborso non poteva avvenire. E questo alla faccia del fatto che in entrambi i casi il mio nome era scritto in tutti e due gli alfabeti, visto che il nome “ufficiale” era diverso. La cosa più antipatica e’ stata che ho provato per ben DUE VOLTE a richiedere la modifica dei dati, ma senza successo. E ho anche rassicurato la banca che ero la stessa persona. Nulla da fare. Quindi, al momento, se uso questa carta di credito, a fine mese mi arriva una bolletta da pagare…in pratica, uguale a come se non avessi una carta di credito. Che gran tavolata.

Ho poi trovato un numero di telefono per assistenza, ho chiesto assistenza e non mi hanno saputo aiutare (dico, mi hanno ripetuto quale era il problema che sapevo gia, non come risolverlo). E alla fine, dopo varie telefonate e vari moduli di richiesta, pare che la cosa si risolve “il mese prossimo”. 

Stiamo a vedere.

No comments:

Post a Comment