Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Temporary partnership

Recently there have been a few changes in my daily routine. Like this one: for the next month I will be broadcasting from Meguro, where I will live and dog-sit.

The reason why I had to move (temporarily, only temporarily) to a different place is that I can't have pets at home, building complex rules. That's why, having offered my dog-sitting expertise (smirk), I am the one who's going where the dog is, not viceversa. And that's going to be for a month.

I hope things will work out between me and him (the hound). We've known each other for years, but we haven't spent much time together...will I be able to take care of another life, 24/7?
I've always had dogs back home in Sicily, fed with whatever leftovers of our meals are there, free to run and bark and scare the hell out of people passing by our property fence. In short, it was low maintenance.
But when one lives in a city, in a house with no land around, then such a pleasurable company becomes a demanding one. The dog's owner knows it well. And I know it well, too. So why agreeing to such a demand? Because, if you knew the dog, you'd have done the same.

I am going to have an interesting month ahead, especially concerning the changing in commuting route: I will have to take trains twice a day, crowded trains during rush hours, twice a day! THIS will be the real challenge. In all my years living in Japan, I never managed to overcome my anthropophobia, despite the recurrent exposure (some say exposure is the key to win, hmmm), and I guess I never will...anyway, there will be plenty of exposure for the next month! I see my expected survival rate to diminish dramatically. Wish me luck!

Fortunately, thanks to the upcoming Golden Week break, I will be spared of some days of terror. I will be rather busy in getting to know my new temp neighborhood in those days, instead.

*************

Recentemente la mia trafila giornaliera ha subito delle modifiche, tra cui questa: tutto il mese prossimo trasmettero' da Meguro, dove abitero' e avro' un cane.

La ragione per cui mi sono dovuta spostare (temporaneamente, eh, solo temporaneamente) da un altra parte e' che non posso tenere animali nel mio appartamento, regole condominiali. E quindi, avendo offerto le mie grandi qualita' come dog-sitter, sono io quella che va dal cane e non viceversa. E questo, per un mese intero.

Spero che tutto vada per il verso giusto tra me e lui (la belva). Ci conosciamo da svariati anni, ma non abbiamo passato tantissimo tempo assieme...ce la faro' a occuparmi di un'altra vita?
In Sicilia, abbiamo sempre avuto cani a casa, sfamati con qualsiasi cibo che avanzava dal pasto del giorno, liberi di correre, abbaiare e spaventare a morte chiunque si avvicinasse alla recinzione. In poche parole, erano poco impegno.
Ma quando si vive in citta', in una casa senza terreno attorno, allora una compagnia piacevole si trasforma in una esigente. Il padrone lo sa molto bene. E lo so bene anche io. Quindi, perche' decidere di sobbarcarsi di tanto impegno? Perche' se conosceste il cane, avreste fatto lo stesso.

Il mese che mi si prospetta sara' proprio interessante, specialmente per quanto riguarda il mio recarmi al lavoro: due volte al giorno dovro' prendere il treno, nelle ore di punta affollate in tutte le direzioni. QUESTA sara' la vera sfida. Difatti in tutti questi anni in Giappone, non sono mai riuscita a sconfiggere la mia antropofobia, nonostante l'esposizione regolare (dicono che la terapia migliore e' guardare il problema negli occhi....beh), e quindi credo non ce la faro' mai. Auguratemi buona fortuna!

Ma, una cosa buona e' che presto ci saranno le vacanze della Golden Week, quindi per qualche giorno saro' salva. Quello che faro' in quei giorni sara' di familiarizzare con la nuova zona.


No comments:

Post a Comment