Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Workplace, workout and golden dancers

Work is an important part of our adult's life, so is workout. Big companies provide their employees with recreational spaces, gyms, reading rooms, and what not. There is a reason for that: healthy mind in healthy body, or in other words brain works better if the body is active. Distractions are paradoxically vital in jobs where the most concentration is required like research, programming, experiment design. Unless one is caught up in some concentration traps, we need to move our eyes away from the screen and do something else for a little.

There's a hoop in our campus, and there are a few chaps in my lab who play basketball, too. Every now and later, near the end of the day, they get together and practice shooting under the tree in the corner, while the sun sets behind Fuji, coating everything red gold. They play, they get sucked up in the game, they shout, they arm-fight, they sweat, then they are back to their desks ready for another round of sharp brain activity (did you know, brain works optimally in cycles of about 90 minutes).

Now, I am not a basketball player, nor a warm fan of the game. Sorry. But I got convinced to get out and watch them play a couple of times, and I liked it. Cheer on people you know is better than cheer on a bunch of players you barely know the names of.

Yesterday they -ballet, goldie, bear, greek freak and some others- all went to play at a nearby court and I tagged along with the excuse of hitching a car ride so that I ended up to be cheering audience. As good as they are at convincing me, I eventually stepped out of my dress and put on my sports gear….FIZZ, BWOOM, BOOSH, BADABOOM! Yes, and I did play nothinglessthan basketball. Sssshwamm!

Coach D being there to give me the 2 minutes all-in-one essential how-to course for beginners, and all the boys being nice pushing me to try, I had no excuses so I played. And even scored once -clearly the beginner's stroke of luck. Pop!

Strokes of bad luck, though, were the ones I blew here and there to everyone I was trying to block. Again, I had no faintest idea that I would end up playing a rough sport (even less that I would end up playing rough), so how could I possibly know to cut my fingernails …
Injuries report: a guy badly slashed along a bicep and on the neck, another guy believed scratched but impossible to state with certainty due to lack of evidence, my pinkie finger swollen due to a collision (impact with basket ball or rather opponent's muscle: undetermined), my other hand's ring finger close to the same fate, a pocket of blood collected under one of my toes due to free-foot-in-soft-shoe (for jogging, actually) friction, sore back. 
Now I can't type and I limp…

Fortunately (or unfortunately, the verdict is still under consideration) I was carrying my running gear, solely with the idea of taking a jog that afternoon after work, but one never knows in life. Better be prepared. Even to long fingernails… 

In the end I had more fun than I thought, and the boys didn't complain about my zillion tactical errors, even when I repeatedly passed the ball to the wrong team member….Did they have a good time, regardless? Was my 先生 happy? I just hoop so.

****************

L'attivita lavorativa e' parte importante della vita di un adulto, così come lo e' l'attività fisica. Le grosse compagnie offrono agli impiegati spazi ricreativi, palestre, stanze lettura o relax, eccetera. C'e' una ragione per tutto ciò: mente sana in corpo sano, o anche dire il cervello lavora meglio se il corpo e' attivo. Paradossalmente, le distrazioni sono essenziali in lavori dove la concentrazione massima e' richiesta come nella ricerca o nella programmazione. A meno che uno sia intrappolato in una gabbia di concentrazione, si tende sempre a distogliere l'attenzione dal monitor e fare altro per un po'.

C'e' un canestro nel nostro campus, e ci sono anche alcuni colleghi che giocano a basket. Ogni tanto li vedo che assieme giocano a pallacanestro li' all'angolo mentre il sole tramonta dietro il Fiji e colora tutto di oro rossastro. Si fanno prendere dal gioco, urlano, sudano, litigano, poi ritornano in ufficio pronti per un'altra ondata di attività cerebrale (lo sapevate che il cervello lavora in maniera ottimale in cicli di 90 minuti?).

Ora, non e' che io sappia giocare, e non sono neanche una appassionata del gioco, ma di tanto in tanto mi sono fatta convincere a andare con loro e guardarli giocare. E mi e' piaciuto tanto, visto che e' molto meglio vedere giocare persone che si conoscono invece che persone di cui si conosce appena il nome.
Ieri -ballet, goldie, bear, greek freak e altri- sono andati a giocare in un posto vicino e con la scusa di farmi dare un passaggio in macchina, sono andata con loro anche io e ho fatto la spettatrice. Ma visto che sono bravi a convincermi, alla fine mi sono cambiata pure io…Ebbene si, ho giocato anche io nientedimenoche pallacanestro!!! WAAAAAAAA!

Visto che tutti gli altri mi hanno esortato e visto che il mio allenatore D mi ha impartito il corso tutto incluso per principianti con il fai da te essenziale in soli 2 minuti, non ho avuto scusanti così ho giocato. E ho anche beccato un canestro -ovviamente la classica sfacciata fortuna del principiante. 

Poca fortuna invece hanno avuto quelli che ho marcato durante la partita. Rammento che non avevo la più pallida idea che avrei giocato uno sport abbastanza aggressivo (anche meno che io sarei stata aggressiva), quindi come avrei potuto sapere che dovevo tagliarmi le unghie….bollettino delle disgrazie: uno con un braccio e il collo graffiati, un altro ipotizzato graffiato ma non ci sono evidenze per confermarlo, il mio mignolo gonfio per via di una collisione (impatto con la palla o con il muscolo dell'avversario: non determinato), anulare dell'altra mano vicinissimo allo stesso destino del mignolo, una sacca di sangue sotto l'alluce causa sfregamento (oh, avevo le scarpe da corsa e quelle sono molto morbide), schiena dolorante. Ora non posso ne' usare la tastiera e ne' camminare…

Per fortuna (o per sfortuna, stiamo ancora considerando) avevo con me un cambio, ma solo perché pensavo di fare una corsa nel pomeriggio dopo il lavoro. Ma non si sa mai nella vita, meglio essere preparati. Anche alle unghie lunghe…


Alla fine mi sono divertita più di quanto credevo, e anche i ragazzi non si sono lamentati dei miei migliaia errori tattici anche quando passavo ripetutamente la palla al compagno di squadra sbagliato…Si sono divertiti comunque? Il mio allenatore e' rimasto contento? Boh, io spero di si.










No comments:

Post a Comment