Saturday, December 22, 2018

Stop and breathe - 2018 year end


We are about to wrap up this year, over and done with it, hopeful about the future and impatient to leave the past behind. It is once again time for introspections and resolutions…

If I had to review my year based on the amount of blogging I did, well, it did not go that well. Year 2018 saw the lowest posting rate yet, with an average of a mere 3 entries per month and beating the previous year. Now, year 2017 was all about pushing towards getting the PhD done with, and exactly 12 months ago I did finally submit the paperwork. I had a prolific year, but all the efforts that went into making that happen were taken away from anything else, ergo the low post rate.
I then thought that after I earned my Dr title I wouldn’t have to push hard (well, as hard)….but I wrote even less this year than last.

Indeed, after reviewing my year, I see that I have, again, worked my butt off, and forgot to enjoy things in life. Or actually I shall say I forgot to plan in advance to enjoy things in life. I did manage to do new things here and there, ticked a few items off my very long list of things to do, places to see et cetera. But on a last minute basis, and on a short notice basis. The prospect for the upcoming year doesn’t look much rosier, but I am prepared.

Being December 21st a Friday, a lot of us used to Christmas and new year’s holidays made that day the last working day of the year. And just to continue with the last minute theme, I left work on Friday with guilt because I didn’t manage to finish all I wanted. I wanted more time, I needed more time to tidy up, to organize, to write my notes, to say goodbye….I left the office feeling unaccomplished. That’s a first. That moment looked further away in time, until it suddenly arrived and found me unprepared.

But it is now time to take a break and breathe. 

As for new year’s resolutions, of course I don’t have any. However, I have realized I need to do more for myself: be stronger and fearless, let go of anxiety (it is OK to not care), less ‘shoulds’ more ‘wants’. I’ve spent my life striving to reach those goals, succeeding at times and failing other times…writing them down here maybe will help to better aim and focus. Let’s see.

I do like to look back at this post I wrote at beginning of this year (here), because it really looks like there is a very robust pattern in the last few years. I shall return to this post next year and see whether that pattern is still there.

**********

Stiamo per finire anche quest’anno di cui ne abbiamo abbastanza, speranzosi per il futuro e impazienti di lasciarci alle spalle il passato. Ancora una volta, e’ tempo per un po’ di introspezione e buoni propositi…

Se dovessi giudicare il mio anno in base al numero di post, direi che non e’ andato bene. L’anno 2018 e’ stato quello con la frequenza di pubblicazioni più bassa in assoluto, con una media misera di 3 post al mese. Ora, il 2017 e’ stato l’anno della concentrazione per finire il dottorato, e esattamente 12 mesi fa finalmente facevo richiesta di tesi. E’ stato un anno prolifico, ma tutti gli sforzi sono andati verso quella missione, lasciando il resto a niente, ergo la bassa frequenza sul blog. Ho poi erroneamente pensato che dopo aver ottenuto il titolo di dottore non avrei dovuto insistere più di tanto….ma alla fine quest’anno ho scritto meno dell’anno scorso.

E difatti, dopo aver dato una rapida occhiata al mio anno, vedo che ho comunque lavorato un sacco dimenticandomi di divertirmi di più. Anzi, dovrei dire: dimenticandomi di organizzare per tempo per divertirmi di più. Per carità, ho fatto cose nuove, ho depennato alcuni elementi dalla mia lunghissima lista di cose da fare o posti da vedere, ma ho fatto tutto all’ultimo minuto. Sempre all’ultimo minuto. Le cose non sembrano più rosee per il prossimo anno, ma sono preparata.

Visto che quest’anno il 21 dicembre e’ stato di venerdì, molti di noi che usano fare le vacanze per natale e capodanno hanno scelto questo giorno come l’ultimo lavorativo. E giusto per continuare ancora col tema dell’ultimo minuto, sono andata via il venerdì sentendomi in colpa per non aver finito tutto quello che volevo. Volevo più tempo, più tempo per riorganizzare, per annotare tutto, per concludere, per salutare….ho lasciato l’ufficio insoddisfatta. E’ la prima volta che mi capita. Quel momento sembrava cosi lontano nel futuro fino a che improvvisamente e’ arrivato e mi ha trovata impreparata.

Ma adesso e’ tempo di fermarsi e respirare.

Per quanto riguarda i propositi per il nuovo anno, ovviamente non ne faccio. Devo pero dire che mi rendo conto che devo fare qualcosa di più per me stessa: essere più forte, meno ansiosa (non preoccuparsi va bene), meno dovrei e più voglio. Ho passato tutta la vita cercando di raggiungere questi obiettivi, a volte con successo e altre volte no. Forse se me li scrivo qui ora mi saranno di più aiuto, chissà.

Mi piace guardare indietro al post che ho scritto all’inizio dell’anno (qui), perché sembra proprio che negli ultimi anni si sia definito uno schema. Mi sa che ci ritornerò tra un anno per vedere se l’andamento continua immutato.



No comments:

Post a Comment