Sunday, December 24, 2017

Closing in

There is something blissful and soothing in being home alone on a  Sunday night, even when it is a night before Christmas. 

It is the preparing of your own dinner, at your own pace, it is the quiet and silence of your own place, it is your feet keeping warm, the thought of the imminent year-end break.

For some reasons, I prepared a three course meal for myself today, an awesome colourful salad with home-made yoghurt-based caesar salad, oven baked pasta and yoghurt and berry dessert. Not sure why. Maybe I simply wanted to clean up the fridge, subconsciously wanting to get rid of the clutter, both material and mental, for the year…

Once again this year I didn’t plan much of a winter vacation (or shall I say summer vacation), and my beloved Australian second home must sadly wait for better times.

Day by day, gene by gene, result by result this year was the year of the so long awaited (and wished, and despised, and cursed, and reconsidered) PhD application journey. Not that I obtained my title, yet; but I eventually managed to collect all the scientific proofs I needed in order to apply to defend. 

It is not over yet of course (this is actually just the beginning), but I can at least now say that I am standing on grounds more solid than, say, 12 months ago. I will perhaps summarise all the highs and lows and turmoils in a separate dedicated post, once I will have left all this behind me. For the time being, I won’t sing victory until I will bite into the dissertation.

However, going back to the practicalities, until more or less a month ago I had no clue of what was going to be of me, and that meant I couldn’t plan my holidays. Nor could I plan anything else, for that matter. This made me reconsider the (in)famous Japanese punctuality, precision and organisation. Pffffff!

Good news are I managed to at least make a plan for the end of the year, with the hope that no major F-ups happen while I’m away. 

I close with my best wishes of a happy, glamorous and fun end of this year and beginning of the next year. You’ll hear from me soon again.

****************

C’e’ qualcosa di gioioso e confortante nell’essere soli a casa una domenica sera, anche quando e’ la sera prima di Natale.
E’ il preparare la propria cena, con calma, e’ la pace e il silenzio di casa, e’ l’avere i piedi al caldo, il pensiero dell’imminente pausa di fine anno.

Per non so quale motivo preciso, mi sono data a un menu completo per la serata, un’insalata colorata e salutare condita con una salsa allo yogurt fatta in casa, una bella pasta al forno e un dolce di yogurt e frutti di bosco. Forse questo sforzo culinario dipende dal fatto che volevo svuotare il frigo, come se inconsciamente mi volessi disfare di tutto il disordine, sia mentale che materiale, prima della fine dell’anno…

Anche stavolta non ho programmato niente di eclatante come ferie, e la mia solita visita alla mia familiare Australia deve ahimè aspettare tempi migliori.

Giorno dopo giorno, gene dopo gene, risultato dopo risultato, questo e’ stato l’anno della cosi tanto attesa (e desiderata, e odiata, e maledetta e riconsiderata) richiesta di dottorato. Non ho ancora il titolo, sia chiaro, ma almeno sono arrivata al punto da poter raccogliere tutte le prove scientifiche necessarie per poter far richiesta di tesi.

Prima che sia finita (sono solo all’inizio) ce ne vuole, ma almeno adesso posso dire di essere in una situazione migliore rispetto a, tipo, 12 mesi fa. Può’ darsi che faccia un sommario di tutti gli alti e bassi della storia in un post dedicato, ma solo dopo che questo percorso me lo saro’ lasciato alle spalle. In base allo stato delle cose, non canto vittoria fino a che non possa prendere a morsi la tesi.

In ogni caso, tornando alle cose pratiche, fino a più o meno un mese fa non avevo idea di cosa e quando fare, cosi che non ho programmato nessuna vacanza. Beh, non ho potuto programmare nulla, chiaro. E devo anche dire che ora mi ricredo sulla tanto famosa organizzazione e precisione dei giapponesi.

Per lo meno la buona notizia e’ che per la fine dell’anno ho un piano. E speriamo che mentre saro’ via non succedano danni seri.


Finisco con l’augurarvi una felice, entusiasmante e piacevole fine di quest’anno e inizio del nuovo. A presto.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment