Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Nothing to report

Here we are again, complaining about neglect.

I recently went through my ten years old blog, reading the posts, not at all surprised of the plummeting post frequency curve, and horrified at the bad English the first ones were written in. I still write in two languages, mainly because I need to practice my native language and also because I like writing, so doing it in another language is a challenge I love.

But no matter how hard I try, truth is I have little to nothing to report. What to blame is time. It is the time as the lack of it, the 25th hour I don’t have in order to focus and write, and it is also the time as duration of my stay: after so many years I don’t have so much to tell about other than the same old stuff (and we do not like to be repetitive).
I sit down and try to remember what’s happened in the past month, and it’s either me who can’t remember or nothing of note happened.

Let’s start from the beginning of April. Ahh, the cherry blossom came and it was soon gone…the already narrow hanami (cherry blossom viewing) window was narrower this year. Then easter came and easter was gone…in any case we don’t notice which holiday our own country is celebrating here, and I can’t say I suffer about it. But I have to say that, while easter was the only one among the christian holidays that went unnoticed in Japan, the recent years have seen a turn, as chocolate eggs and easter themed food and decorations have began to pop around. Then work deadlines came and they were soon gone…and I feel I have been meeting deadlines for years now.

It’s now May, and it’s full golden week, that blissful time of the year when it feels like real spring and the Japanese get 3 consecutive days off due to national holidays. What have I planned for this year’s longer than usual weekend? Absolutely nothing. To be honest, I was considering to work during the holidays, welcoming the quiet in the office, imagining already progresses on writing (yes, I do sci-write a lot for work too, recently), and then taking some time off when everybody else is at work…in fact, trying to travel during this long week of holiday is anyway a bad idea. Eventually I decided for staying at home during the peak of traveling, and take holidays later instead.

I guess you’ll be hearing from me soon.

**********

Ed eccoci di nuovo a lamentarci della negligenza. Di recente ho scorso il mio blog oramai decenne, leggendo i vecchi post, per niente sorpresa della brusca caduta nella frequenza degli interventi, e anche esterrefatta a quanto pessimo era il mio inglese. Scrivo ancora in due lingue, principalmente perché ho bisogno di praticare la mia lingua madre e poi perché scrivere mi piace, se poi in un’altra lingua ben venga. Mi piace la sfida.

Ma in ogni caso, non importa quanto io ci provi, non ho molto da raccontare. E qui dobbiamo incolpare il tempo; Da un lato e’ proprio la mancanza di tempo, quella 25ma ora che non ho, e da un lato e’ anche il tempo inteso come durata, visto che dopo cosi tanti anni qui non c’e’ molto altro da dire a parte le solite cose (e non ci piace essere ripetitivi).
Sto qua seduta a pensare a cosa sia successo in questo mese appena passato e, o sono io che non ricordo, oppure non e’ proprio successo nulla.

Partiamo dall’inizio di aprile. Ah, si, i ciliegi in fiore sono arrivati e subito andati…la finestra gia breve in cui si può fare Hanami (ovvero osservazione della fioritura dei ciliegi) e’ stata ancora più breve quest’anno. Poi, la pasqua e’ arrivata e se ne e’ subito andata….ma noi espatriati non ci facciamo caso a prescindere, e non posso certo dire che la cosa mi dispiaccia. Devo anche dire che, sebbene la pasqua fosse finora stata una di quelle festività non osservate in Giappone, negli ultimi anni ho visto un cambiamento, dopo che uova di cioccolato e piatti a tema hanno incominciato ad apparire in giro. Poi le varie scadenze di lavoro sono arrivate e se ne sono subito andate…ho come la sensazione che non ho fatto altro che rispettare scadenze per anni.


Ora e’ maggio, e siamo in piena golden week, quel periodo speciale dell’anno quando sembra primavera e i giapponesi hanno tre giorni consecutivi di ferie. E che cosa ho programmato per questo fine settimana più lungo del solito? Niente di niente. Onestamente pensavo di lavorare durante queste festività, assaporando gia la pace in ufficio, imaginando gia i progressi con la scrittura (e si, scrivo di scienza un sacco ultimamente), e poi di prendere giorni di riposo quando gli altri stanno al lavoro….in effetti spostarsi proprio in questo periodo non e’ proprio il meglio. Alla fine ho deciso di stare a casa durante i giorni di massimo esodo e poi prendere alcuni giorni di ferie dopo, per cui avrete mie notizie più in la.



No comments:

Post a Comment