Wednesday, November 9, 2016

De Amicitiae

More time. I needed more time to do all I was hoping to do while I was in Sicily. See friends, for example.

When one can't really take days off right now, doesn't actually have enough days off but has yet to take time off in order to, say, attend a 50 year marriage anniversary…well, then one takes those days off, period. This was basically the situation I faced last month. I hadn't been home in over a year and was looking forward to go, but the timing eventually wasn't right.

Long story short, my first four days of "vacation" passed unnoticed, the remaining four fighting a cold that grounded me and the last two on the move. So, even those faint plans I had made with my friends went fubar and the day of departure arrived without me having said neither goodbye or even hello to them. With a few exceptions.

The day I drove to the airport to drop my brother and his family off was one. Fortunately one friend was available during that one hour I could scrap and we met for a quick catch up. Just when we were about to dive into the most interesting topics, time was up and we had to split. 

The day I drove again to the airport to catch my flight was another one. Thanks to an evening departure, I organised a late lunch with a couple of dear friends I am very close to. Saw their house, brought them gifts, chatted about life and such. Just when we were about to dive into the most interesting topics, time was up and we had to drop me off at the airport.
Always on the go, always on the edge, always in a rush.

The one gathering that was planned and was successful happened in Rome, again for a short time, again in between flights. My travel schedule allowed for one night stop over in the eternal city, so I put the friends machine in motion and asked everyone that could, to come say hi. I once again was picked up at the airport, taken to town, given a bed to crash, chauffeured again back to the airport.

Nothing better than an evening with good friends to lift the spirit and soothe the soul. And what friends! I take the opportunity here to say that all these friends always move mountains in order to meet me, and I can’t but be eternally grateful to have them but also eternally in debt with them for all they do.

Back to the roman evening, we went to a yet unexplored area of Rome (unexplored for me), where nice restaurants and businesses are opening up, giving the run down district a whole new look. By the way, I have to add I will always be in love with the names of streets, places, neighbourhoods, in Rome! They are so…how to say, genuine. One by one my friends showed up, met the others and received/gave presents. Just when we were about to dive into the most interesting topics, time was up and we had to leave, as the day after was a working day for everyone. Except me, that is. But it was a travel day for me, and a good night’s sleep was a good way to prepare to the many hours sitting in a (surprisingly comfortable) plane. 

Thankfully I had no baggage troubles on the way back, no other issues at all in fact. All of this made me think that possibly the universe had unfolded towards bringing me back to Japan, maybe there’s something I shall still do here. We shall see.

***********

Più tempo, ci voleva più tempo per fare tutto quello che speravo di poter fare in Sicilia. Ad esempio, vedere i miei amici.
Se uno non può proprio prendere ferie al momento, se addirittura non ha proprio ferie ma comunque deve trovarle per poter partecipare, per dire, a un 50-mo anniversario di matrimonio…c’e’ poco da fare, si prendono le ferie, punto. E in pratica questa era la mia situazione il mese scorso. Non tornavo a casa da più di un anno e non vedevo l’ora, eppure alla fine la tempistica proprio non andava bene.

Per stringere, i primi quattro giorni della mia “vacanza” mi sono praticamente passati davanti senza che me ne accorgessi, poi i quattro successivi li ho passati a combattere un brutto raffreddore e gli ultimi due ero in viaggio. Quindi, anche quegli pseudo piani per vedere gli amici non hanno retto e il giorno della mia partenza e’ arrivato senza che potessi ne’ dire ciao ne’ arrivederci. Ma ci sono state un paio di eccezioni.

Il giorno che ho accompagnato mio fratello e famiglia in aeroporto e’ una. C’era per fortuna una amica che era libera per quell’unica ora che sono riuscita a ricavare e ci siamo viste. E proprio quando si stava per toccare le tematiche più interessanti era tempo dei saluti.

Il giorno che sono di nuovo andata in aeroporto per la mia partenza e’ stato un’altra eccezione. Grazie a una partenza serale ho organizzato un pranzo con una cara coppia di amici, ho visto casa loro, gli ho portato dei pensierini, abbiamo chiacchierato del più e del meno. E proprio quando si stava per toccare le tematiche più interessanti era tempo di farmi portare all’aeroporto.
Sempre di fretta e sempre senza sosta.

L’unico evento che era stato pianificato e che e’ riuscito e’ stato a Roma, sempre per un breve tempo e sempre tra due voli. Il mio piano prevedeva uno scalo di un’intera notte alla citta eterna, e quindi ho messo in moto la macchina delle amicizie e ho chiesto a tutti quelli che potevano di farsi vivi. E di nuovo c’e’ stato chi e’ venuto a prendermi in aeroporto, mi ha portato in centro, mi ha detto un letto su cui dormire e mi ha poi riportato in aeroporto.

Non c’e’ stato niente di meglio che questa serata con buoni amici per risollevarmi l’umore. E che amici! Ne approfitto per dire che tutti questi amici che mi ritrovo spostano pure le montagne per incontrarmi, e non posso che essere eternamente grata ma allo stesso tempo eternamente in debito con loro.

A ogni modo, per tornare alla serata romana, siamo andati in un’area poco esplorata (da me) di Roma, dove ci sono tanti ristoranti e negoziati che stanno contribuendo a abbellire questo rione in passato malandato. Che poi, devo aggiungere, sono proprio innamorata dei nomi romani di strade, vie, piazze, quartieri eccetera. Hanno un non so che di verace. i miei amici sono arrivati uno dopo l’altro, hanno conosciuto gli altri e ci siamo scambiati regali e cortesie. E proprio quando si stava per toccare le tematiche più interessanti era tempo di salutarsi, visto che l’indomani tutti sarebbero andati a lavorare. Tutti tranne me, ovviamente. Ma sarebbe stato comunque un giorno di viaggio, quindi una bella notte di sonno era un bel modo per prepararsi a tante ore in aereo.


Per fortuna al ritorno non ho avuto problemi con la valigia, anzi non ho proprio avuto problemi. Tutto ciò mi fa pensare che forse l’universo stava tramando qualcosa per riportarmi in Giappone, forse c’e’ ancora qualcosa da fare. Vedremo.



No comments:

Post a Comment