Monday, January 4, 2016

Voyage under the sunlight - Viaggio al sole

Coincidences are fun sometimes, and just great some other times. My last two weeks saw a series of fortunate passages over a ray of sunshine. 

I woke up to a beautiful sunrise the morning I had to go to the airport to begin my holidays. A transfer in the kingdom of everlasting pollution, the people's republic of China, then a departure at sunset. Sadly, the chinese sunset was a bit dull and boring, but still a pretty amazing coincidence. I later arrive in Australia, my destination, in time to salute the rising sun again. Every morning, for as long as my vacation lasted, I did wake up together with the sun, its light painting everything it reached a beautiful pink orange.

More coincidences were waiting for me, though. On the evening of my departure from Australia a spectacular sunset (and the most dramatic of all) of golds and reds shone against the evening baby blue sky, accompanying me all the way to the airport. I was already so grateful to Mother Nature for such a great end of 2015, when another stroke of luck prolonged my sparkling end of the year: I actually saw the city fireworks from the plane at midnight! My cousins were right, I could see them, but only thanks to a 25 minute delay on the time of departure. Explosions all over the city, along the river, in the bay, in people's backyards. Definitely a heart-throbbing moment. Not only it was great to travel between years instead of stressing out about what to do to celebrate (and have a perfect excuse to turn all invitations down), but I have to say that there is no better place to watch the fireworks from than a plane.

And here I open a very broad parenthesis on the airplane staff…so, I was traveling with a Chinese airline, and that's alright. We've all experienced their lack of niceness at some point in life. Not that all Chinese are rude, but most of the ones I encounter don't actually have manners. I mean, I believe they don't do it on purpose when they are rough, they simply don't know what for the rest of the world is polite. This is my guess, at least, and my two cents are to be taken with a grain of salt since I live in the country of the uber politest people of all. But, to get to the point: no one word from the crew at midnight? I mean, ONE WORD? If it weren't for the firework display that was blooming below us, we would have never realized we had entered 2016. Not a sip of sparkling wine as a gesture of kindness to the passengers? Not even a small snack/treat/cookie/other-than-usual-stuff with our dinner just to show they care? Pffff! I know they celebrate their own NY, but still…well, fine by me, what do I care about NY anyway?

The series of fortunate coincidences continues when we land in great mother China just minutes before sunrise, the first one of 2016, and then, finally, when I arrive home in Japan, where the familiar view of the dark profile of Fuji against the setting sun was there to welcome me.

So, the circle is closed, from sunrise to sunset, traveling across countries and across years having the sun as my companion. A sign that this new year will be on fire, maybe? Happy New Year everyone!

***************

A volte le coincidenze sono divertenti e altre volte fenomenali. Queste due ultime settimane hanno visto una serie di passaggi fortunati oltre la linea del sole.

Mi sono svegliata con una bellissima alba la mattina della mia partenza per le ferie. Poi una fermata nel regno del sempiterno inquinamento, la repubblica popolare cinese, e partenza nuovamente al calar del sole. E' triste che il tramonto fosse stato un po' scolorito e noioso, ma comunque la coincidenza e' stata alquanto incredibile. Arrivo più tardi in Australia, la mia destinazione, giusto in tempo per salutare di nuovo il sole nascente. E poi, per tutta la durata della mia vacanza, mi svegliavo la mattina assieme al sole che colorava tutto di una luce rosa arancio.

Ma molte altre coincidenze mi aspettavano dietro l'angolo. La sera della mia partenza per il ritorno a casa un tramonto spettacolare (e quello più drammatico) di oro e rosso splendeva contro il cielo azzurro della sera e mi accompagnava all'aeroporto. Ero già più che riconoscente a madre natura per una fine del 2015 così spettacolare, quando un altro colpo di fortuna allunga ancora la mia fine d'anno scoppiettante: sono riuscita a vedere i fuochi d'artificio dall'aereo! I miei cugini avevano ragione, li ho visti, anche se e' stato grazie a un ritardo di 25 minuti della partenza. Così che ho potuto vedere tutte le esplosioni dei fuochi in giro per la città, lungo il fiume, nella baia, nei giardini delle case. Un momento davvero da batticuore. Non solo e' stato già grandioso il fatto di viaggiare tra due anni invece che stressarmi a pensare a come festeggiare (e avere una perfetta scusa per rifiutare gli inviti), ma devo dire che non c'e' posto migliore di un aereo per ammirare i fuochi d'artificio.

E qui vorrei ora aprire una ampia parentesi riguardo al personale di bordo…dunque, ho viaggiato con una compagnia cinese, che va bene. Almeno una volta nella vita abbiamo tutti avuto a che fare con la loro carenza di modi. Non e' che tutti i cinesi sono rudi, ma molti di quelli che incontro non hanno proprio educazione. E che poi so che non lo fanno apposta a essere grezzi, proprio non sanno come essere educati e basta. O almeno così credo, anche se poi questi miei cimenti vanno presi un po' con le pinze visto che abito nel paese dove la gente e' stra-educata. Ma ora, giungendo al punto, dico neanche una parola allo scoccare della mezzanotte? Dico UNA? Se non fosse stato per i fuochi d'artificio fuori non ci saremmo manco accorti dell'arrivo dell'anno nuovo. Dico, un goccio di spumante giusto come gesto nei confronti dei passeggeri? Non un piccolo dolce o qualcos'altro fuori dall'ordinario giusto per mostrare un attimo di delicatezza? Niente. Lo so che i cinesi festeggiano il loro di capodanno, peperò'….mah, va bene anche così che me ne frega a me alla fine?

La serie di coincidenze fortunate continua all'arrivo di nuovo nella grande madre cinese, alcuni minuti prima dell'alba, la prima del 2016, e poi alla fine quando ritorno a casa in Giappone dove la vista familiare del profilo scuro del Fuji contro il sole che tramontava era li a ricevermi. 

E così il cerchio si chiude, dall'alba al tramonto, viaggiando tra nazioni e tra anni, col sole come compagno. Forse il segno che questo mio nuovo anno sarà infuocato? Buon anno a tutti.


No comments:

Post a Comment