Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Acupunctured!

There is a first time for everything, they say.

So time came for my first acupuncture experience. It started from a birthday present I received, a catalog where I could choose an "experience" from, and a ticket to be used with it. Out of a thousand of different activities, among which some extreme ones like paragliding, or diving, or yoga classes, or pottery classes and the like, I went for acupuncture.

My idea was actually relaxation, something like body massage with oils or spa but found nothing. No, not true…all massage experiences I could choose among were Thai style, which IS the best for stress release as your body is flexed, folded, bent and twisted around, but not what I was looking for this time. I needed something softer. Instead, I found a two-hour はりきゅうマッサジ course (harikyu massage. Harikyu means acupuncture in Japanese) and I told myself I could use this opportunity and try a new treatment. After all, acupuncture can help relieve stress, muscle soreness and tension as well. For sure I needed to do something after the long trip from Australia I had just returned, and before the long weekend of cooking classes that awaited me…

Being it the first time to receive the treatment, I was asked to fill a medical questionnaire in Japanese, which I couldn't read fully so I had to rely on the help of the masseuse. She was super nice and explained to me all terms, with gestures if necessary, in order for me to check all the points.

I changed into the clothes provided in the massage room and I received a wonderful one hour acupressure massage: it's a massage technique that doesn't involve oils, it rather consists in applying pressure with fingers on the same points used in acupuncture. The masseuse went on tho-rou-gh-ly from head to toes, making sure she found all the tense points. After that, she took the needles and began to insert them all around my neck, shoulders and back, and everywhere else she felt at touch I was sore. If you think they hurt, well, know they don't. Compared to the Chinese ones, Japanese acupuncture needles are very very thin, like a hair, and they're not inserted deep in the skin. I barely felt them (at the end the lady showed them to me and also explained how she inserted them).

And then came electricity. Oh yeah. All needles get wired to a machine and a small charge is sent to the body through all of them, and for the next 10 minutes the patient is left to feel the pulsating tiny shocks working on all punctured points. Muscles definitely do relax after that. I don't know whether it is the electricity or the acupuncture points or both, but relief is real. You just have to try for yourself and get your spine electrocuted (lightly).

Two hours and 20 something needles later I was a new person, walking lightly and moving fluidly again with no pain whatsoever, but now with a new addiction. And I can thank my friend for that.

****************

Si dice che c'e' una prima volta per tutto.

Bene, giunse il momento per la mia prima agopuntura. Tutto inizio' con un regalo di compleanno ricevuto, un catalogo di esperienze tra cui scegliere, e un biglietto valido per provare una di esse. Tra tutte le varie attività possibili, tra cui anche alcune estreme tipo para pendio, si annoveravano yoga, immersione, lezioni di ceramica o di cucina, e chi più ne ha più ne metta. Tra tutte queste, io ho scelto l'agopuntura. A dire il vero volevo qualcosa del tipo massaggio o spa, ma non ho trovato nulla. Anzi no, no un momento…tutti i tipi di massaggi che ho visto erano tipo tailandese, che, vero, e' un perfetto anti stress perché piega e strizza il corpo in ogni direzione, ma non era quello che cercavo.

Avevo in mente qualcosa di più leggero. E così ho trovato un menu di due ore per agopuntura e così ho deciso di provare qualcosa di nuovo. E poi, alla fine anche l'agopuntura aiuta a eliminare lo stress e la contrazione muscolare. Proprio quello che mi ci voleva dopo il lungo viaggio dall'Australia e prima del lungo fine settimana di lezioni di cucina che mi aspettava.

Visto che era la prima volta che andavo, ho dovuto riempire un questionario tutto in giapponese che non potevo leggere ma che pero' ho potuto completare grazie all'aiuto della massaggiatrice che mi ha spiegato, anche a gesti se era necessario, il significato di tutti i termini.

Per quasi un'ora ho poi ricevuto un massaggio spettacolare, quel massaggio che punta a identificare con la sola pressione delle dita, i punti nevralgici che sono poi quelli stessi dell'agopuntura. La massaggiatrice ha decisamente preso il suo tempo per trovare tutti ma proprio tutti quei punti da testa a piedi che erano in tensione e li ha massaggiati per bene. Poi ha preso gli aghi e ha cominciato a inserirmeli nel collo, la schiena e le spalle, e altre zone che lei riteneva fossero indolenzite. Che poi, se pensate che gli aghi facciano male vi sbagliate. Io non li ho neanche sentiti (a fine seduta la massaggiatrice mi ha poi spiegato come faceva a inserirli). C'e' da dire che rispetto a quelli cinesi, gli aghi giapponesi sono più sottili, come un capello, e vengono inseriti i superficie.

E poi arrivo' l'elettricità. Si si. Gli aghi vengono infatti collegati a un generatore di corrente e poi delle piccole scariche a intervalli regolari vengono mandate tramite essi, per circa dieci minuti. E la persona e' lasciata li a sentire i muscoli lievemente pulsare. E di sicuro i muscoli si rilassano. Ora, non so se e' l'effetto della corrente, o la scelta dei punti di inserimento, o entrambe le cose, fatto sta che ci si rilassa davvero. Bisogna provarci di persona e farsi dare la scossa (leggera, eh) lungo la schiena.

Due ore e circa 20 aghi dopo, ero una persona nuova, camminavo leggera e con movimenti di nuovo fluidi, e di certo con una nuova dipendenza. E di questo, posso solo ringraziare la mia amica.



Images taken from http://harikyumassage-zen.com/, the place I went to

No comments:

Post a Comment