Sunday, December 13, 2015

Keep calm and back rub on

December starts with hound duty, again, for one week. Yess!

My favorite human was more than happy to see me, as far as my wild guess goes. He followed every step I took in the house, maybe just to make sure I wasn't going anywhere. Or perhaps was just making sure it was really me, like, pinch-me-I-cannot-believe-my-very-own-eyes-that-is-you. And I have to say that every time we get together we take important steps forward in the bonding process. This time, he understood I know the rules to his game and so I happily put wrestling and biting time into our routines. Bring on the playtime!

For some weird reasons, my temporary companion was way more attached than usual: on top of not leaving me alone for a minute (to the level of complaining behind the toilet door), he would not stop whining, almost howling, every time I was back in the evening, he slept glued to me, he also sat next to me and allowed me (read: wanted me) to rub his back. I mean, we did enjoy *every day* those otherwise uber rare moments where I could sit on the sofa watching movies and stroke his fur while he was asleep beside me. Bliss. Even when I was being very firm with him (he can't eat my food, period), he would just sit closer and body-language me the request of a massage. He only misses words. Seriously, he is too cute. You have got to see him when he's happy and waggles his curly tail. Too. Cute. 

One can argue that having a wolf at home helps staying warm in winter, and indeed I went to sleep under two thick blankets, one synthetic and one all natural hound fur. And with a second fur blanket I actually mean a thick layer of dog fur. Not only all over the bed, but all over the house. Instead of building up the winter fur, this dog was losing it!! Whenever he moved, it was like indoor snowfall. I ate fur, I breathed fur, I wore fur, I swept fur.

For my home-work route, this time, I replaced my commute of choice (bike) with train, I had to, as we all thought it was too cold to ride mornings and evenings. Well, we were wrong. The first few days the weather was indeed not so cold for cycling; so much that I found a little motivation to go pick up my bike and get back on a two-wheeled means of transport. But, alas, the fun lasted only a couple of days, because I caught a bad cold in the middle of the week and my friends from work convinced me to be a responsible person or I'd risk to fall ill to the point of not being able to take care of the dog…that thought made more tolerable having to deal with one of the worst species of humans: daily commuters. So. Train it was for the remaining week. Heh.

Having to use the train had disastrous consequences on my mood, as one could guess. All mornings, as soon as I reached the train station, all the hound-induced positiveness just faded and I had to wait until the end of the day when I was reunited again with my wordless, but expressive favorite human. 
I think I have reached the ideal groove with morning, evening and late night strolls, necessary for me to take a break from the hustle and bustle and for my the hound to stretch his legs and mark his territory (again, and at the very same spots each time, rain or shine). It is a bit too demanding, true, because by doing so I can't do anything else, I can't cook or bake, I can't concentrate and write, my free time between returning home and bedtime is very limited. But I consider the days spent like this a good chance to reevaluate what's really important. After all, I can disconnect for a week or two. Gladly. The world keeps spinning and won't notice. 

I remember liking summer night walks, but I reckon winter night walks are great too. I came to like these late night walks, especially. The air is thin and cool, and still. There is no one soul out on the streets, like gong out when the Super Bowl is up and all the people are home watching TV. The peace of the neighborhood was broken only at times by seeing other dogs, spotting a Japanese couple shagging in a car (true story), coming across night runners. It's that kind of peace that helped to relax at the end of a long and nervous day, although triggered sad thoughts sometimes. You know…feeling blue. It can happen.

In this respect, I think the dog and I became symbiotic in our mood swings. I can't tell whether it is the dog behavior that induces mine or vice-versa, but we both feel the same way at the same time and find solace the same way: a back rub (I mean, I stroke his fur ok). Even during a walk, there are moments when we stop, we sit cozy and just wait for the moment to pass. We get along just great, us two. Bonding process successfully accomplished?

By now I hope everyone reading has gotten a compelling wish to get a dog, but before you do, keep in mind that having a dog means, by first hand experience:

- you have no privacy whatsoever
- you will always have the feeling of being followed everywhere
- you will be stared at while you eat
- whatever thing you're eating, your dog wants it desperately
- don't wear nice clothes when playing or you'll end up wearing a colander
- you have exactly one nanosecond from the moment you open one plastic bag, wrapping, packaging to the moment your dog materializes
- all you bring home goes through an attentive and thorough nose inspection
- your dog sitting on your stomach is the sign you've got to get out of bed. Well, if you manage to get your dog off you, that is…

And one last very important piece of advice. A dog is not a toy, is not a mere company. They are not there for you only when you want to, only for your convenience. They need attentions, care, presence and patience. Think about the commitments you're making, the change in life you're going to experience before you get one.

****************

Dicembre inizia con un'altra settimana canina. Felicita'.

Il mio essere umano preferito e' stato super felice di ricevermi, almeno così ho pensato, visto che mi ha seguito passo dopo passo, probabilmente per assicurarsi che non sarei andata da nessuna parte. Oppure si voleva solo rassicurare che fossi io veramente io. Devo aggiungere che ogni volta che ci vediamo il processo che ci vede legare migliora, e stavolta ha capito che posso tranquillamente giocare al suo gioco di salti e morsi, e quindi ora e' parte integrante delle nostre giornate. Vai col divertimento!

Per qualche strana ragione pero', stavolta il mio compagno temporaneo era più attaccato del solito: a parte il non lasciarmi sola un solo minuto (al livello che non potevo neanche chiudermi in bagno troppo a lungo), ogni sera quando tornavo non la smetteva di mugolare, si addormentava appiccicato a me, si sedeva sempre attaccato alle mie gambe e si faceva accarezzare. Cioe, dico, ogni sera, ogni sera, mi dedicava quei momenti altrimenti rari in cui potevo sedermi in divano con lui accanto che si faceva accarezzare fino ad addormentarsi. Pure quando io ero dura con lui (tipo, il mio mangiare non e' il tuo e basta) , si metteva accanto a me e mi faceva capire che aspettava paziente un massaggio. Sul serio, gli manca solo la parola. E poi e' troppo carino. Dovreste vederlo quando scodinzola quella coda arrotolata. Proprio carino.

Ora, uno penserebbe che in inverno avere un cane a casa aiuta a stare caldi, e per davvero e' così. Infatti io praticamente dormivo con due coperte, quella sintetica e quella di vera pelliccia. Ma nel senso che il letto era ricoperto da un ricco strato di pelo. E non solo il letto, tutta la casa era piena, tant'e' che respiravo, mangiavo, vestivo e pulivo il pelo che il cane perdeva. Stranamente, si si, perché di solito in inverno dovrebbero invece mettere su pelliccia, invece che perderla, no?

Stavolta, per quanto concerne gli spostamenti casa-lavoro, ho dovuto rimpiazzare la bici col treno. infatti, ho dovuto farlo visto che all'inizio si sentiva che sarebbe stata una settimana fredda. Non potevamo sbagliarci di più. I primi giorni della settimana faceva non tantissimo freddo, così che ho raccolto un po' di motivazione in braccio e sono andata a prendermi il mio mezzo di trasporto preferito. Purtroppo pero', il divertimento e' durato solo un paio di giorni perché mi sono presa un brutto raffreddore. Io sarei tranquillamente andata in bici comunque, pero' i miei cari colleghi mi hanno fatto desistere, così da non rischiare di ammalarmi di brutto e non essere in grado di badare al cane…solo questo pensiero e' bastato per rendere tollerabile la coesistenza con una delle specie umane peggiori: i pendolari. E così, treno fu per il resto della settimana. E vabbe'.

Come si può ben immaginare, viaggiare in treno ha avuto effetti disastrosi sul mio umore. Tutte le mattine, non appena raggiungevo la stazione, tutta la positività mi abbandonava e dovevo aspettare fino alla fine del giorno per ritornare al mio umano preferito che senza parole si esprime più che bene.

Penso di aver raggiunto il ritmo ottimale di 3 passeggiate al giorno, necessarie sia a me per estraniarmi dalla frenesia lavorativa e sia al cane per sgranchirsi le gambe e fare il solito giro di marcatura del territorio, sempre negli stessi posti, ovviamente. Chiaro, e' un po' tanto, anche perché così facendo non mi resta tempo per null'altro, eppure questi giorni spesi così mi servono per rivalutare ciò che davvero e' importante. E poi, che volete che gliene freghi al mondo se mi disconnetto per una settimana o due…

Ricordo che mi piacevano un sacco le passeggiate nelle notti estive, ma devo dire che anche quelle invernali non sono da meno, in particolare quelle proprio nel mezzo della notte. L'aria e' sottile e fresca, e immobile. Non c'e' un'anima per le strade, come quando uno esce il giorno che c'e' il Super Bowl in TV. La pace del quartiere viene interrotta ogni tanto solo dalla saltuaria corsa sportiva di qualcuno che si allena, o qualche altro cane, o una coppia imboscata in macchina ..no no sul serio, visti! Comunque, in giro c'e' quella pace che aiuta tanto a rilassarsi dopo una lunga giornata snervante, anche se può portare a pensieri tristi ogni tanto. Ma va bene, può starci.

Per quanto riguarda l'umore, sono sempre più convinta che io e questo cane siamo simbiotici, ci sentiamo alla stessa maniera allo stesso momento…non so chi induca l'altro, ma risolviamo il problema alla stessa maniera: un massaggio (io al cane, chiaro). Persino durante le nostre passeggiate, ogni tanto ci fermiamo un attimo, vicini, e aspettiamo che passi. Proprio una bella coppia. Direi che il processo di affezione reciproca e' concluso?

E ora penso che chiunque legga delle mie storie canine abbia sentito il bisogno di prendere un cane…beh, prima pensate a cosa significa (parlo per esperienza diretta):

- non esiste privacy
- sei sempre seguito ovunque vai
- quando mangi sei osservato
- qualsiasi cosa mangi, il cane la vuole disperatamente
- non indossare mai vestiti buoni quando giocate o ti ritrovi a vestire uno scolapasta
- hai esattamente un nanosecondo dal momento in cui apri una busta e il momento in cui il cane si materializza 
- qualsiasi cosa che porti a casa viene minuziosamente annusata per ispezione
- il segno che e' giunto il momento di alzarsi e' un cane seduto sul tuo stomaco

Ora, un'ultima raccomandazione seria. Un cane non e' un giocattolo ne' una mera compagnia. Un cane non e' li per te solo quando vuoi tu. Un cane vuole attenzioni, pazienza, cure e presenza. Prima di prenderne uno assicurati di comprendere bene a quali cambiamenti la tua vita andrà incontro.




No comments:

Post a Comment