Saturday, December 26, 2015

Christmas South-bound

It is time for a winter break. Yes, already. Year 2015 passed so quickly that I barely noticed it.
It didn't even feel this December, we experienced a heat wave that made the temperature rise up to 22 celsius last weekend. It's still balmy, although I expect the biting cold to reach Tokyo very soon. Perhaps while I am away.

I was really good this time around, I sent my presents way early, and -oh the irony- they haven't arrived…I already see the disappointment on my nephews' and niece's faces for not receiving anything this year. Oh well, I'd have to make it up for it at the next chance.

I said goodbye to the coworkers, managing to ditch all the year-end parties without even pretend to be sad or sorry about it, I lightheartedly and happily dusted my desk and took all the mess away…it looked like no one had ever been sitting there.

Done with work, it was then time for the pre-departure anxiety to kick-in. Unpacked and disorganized till the very last few hours before take off, I am serious. I know the close friends who know about my OCD-ish nature won't believe it, but truth be told, I had to make an extra effort to clean my place up and sort my stuff out.
I had to turn to my favorite human to lower my stress levels. I went, got a loving lick on the face, let his eyes melt my fears away and then I was ready to go.

Easy to guess where I was headed to, this time of the year. Again, I was going to spend the Christmas holidays in a warm place. Yes, I am repetitive and predictable, but once one finds what works, one sticks to it.

I think I prefer not to be in Japan fro Christmas if I can help it. It is not really because I am one of those who must celebrate the event with presents and food, but because the atmosphere is not just the right one, there are no holidays in Japan for Christmas, there are way too many christmasy songs being played in ALL shops and streets, decorations are up in November already and are removed the day after Christmas. Too strange and, well, fake somehow.

And of all places, I think I prefer Australia. I know it is sad not to be with the family on this very special occasion, but I am done with over priced airplane tickets, over crowded airports and disruptions due to extreme weather. Also, I prefer being in my beloved Sicily when I can take advantage of its beauty and its beaches. So, yes, the way to south is easier. And a part of family is there too, waiting for me each year with undiminished affection. Celebrating Christmas in the hot weather, wearing shorts and sandals has become natural to me, although eating Christmas food is still challenging, because the menu is the same one that came to Australia with the first immigrants from Europe, rich and heavy, typical of winter.

The trip was long but not particularly tiring. I tried a new airline company, this time, and transferred in China. What struck me immediately was that in descending I couldn't really see much, and I thought the airport was in the middle of the nowhere. Instead, it was just so foggy that I could see the buildings only when we landed. Or maybe it was not fog, hard to tell. Even though Guangzhou, where I stopped over, is very far from Beijing where pollution levels are over the roof, there is a chance that it was polluted too. I guess Great Mother China only knows one way of welcoming travelers: via a thick yellow layer of dust.

A few movies and announcements later, I landed in Melbourne, where, instead, the sky was so blue and the sun so bright it almost hurts the eyes.

I carried my super small suitcase full of kit-kats of various flavors to share, not ready at all, not rested at all, but happy to see the people who always jump through hoops in order to make my stay the most perfect one.

Let the festivities begin. And Merry Christmas everyone.

*************

E si, e' gia' giunto il tempo per una pausa invernale. Il 2015 e' passato proprio velocemente, e questo dicembre addirittura non l'ho sentito per niente. Tra l'altro ha fatto abbastanza caldo, roba da 22 gradi di giorno, che non sembrava proprio inverno. Puo' darsi che mentre sono via le temperature si abbassino.

Stavolta sono stata proprio brava nel preparare i miei regali e spedirli, solo che, ironia della sorte, non sono arrivati. Mi sa che dovro' rimediare al dispiacere dei miei nipoti alla prima opportunita'.
Al lavoro, ho salutato i miei colleghi, e senza dispiacere sono riuscita a schivare i vari cenoni di fine anno che si organizzano e ho pulito la mia scrivania a cuor leggero. Alla fine era come se nessuno l'avesse mai utilizzata.

Una volta finito il lavoro per quest'anno, e' poi giunto il momento dell'ansia pre-partenza. Fino all'ultimo minuto non sono stata per nulla organizzata e con le valigie da fare. So che molti tra quelli che mi conoscono non ci crederanno, vista la mia personalita', eppure e' cosi, quest'anno ho proprio fatto tutto all'ultimo secondo, sistemare, pulire, e preparare. E' stato solo grazie al mio essere umano preferito se la calma e' tornata, dopo una visita lampo.

Comunque, la mia destinazione per questo periodo dell'anno e' molto prevedibile, e si si lo so che sono ripetitiva, ma quando si trova qualcosa che piace e funziona, lo si ripete. E io ripeto le mie ferie natalizie in un posto caldo. Quindi si va a sud.

Che poi, a dirla tutta, non e' che mi piaccia tanto essere in Giappone durante il natale. Non perche' io sia una di quelle che debba festeggiare necessariamente con regali e tonnellate di cibo, ma perche' l'atmosfera non e' per niente quella giusta, le decorazioni natalize cominciano ad apparire gia' a novembre, poi spariscono gia' il giorno dopo Natale, e poi sono stanca delle canzoni natalizie passate fino alla nausea. E' semplicemente troppo strano e in qualche modo finto.

Tra tutti i posti a disposizione, il mio e' l'Australia. So che e' triste non essere con la propria famiglia in questi giorni, ma non mi va proprio di dover sopportare il freddo, i costi dei biglietti esorbitanti, gli aeroporti affollati. E poi la mia bella Sicilia me la godo di piu' quando posso andare al mare. Tra le altre cose, c'e' un pezzo di famiglia pure in Australia che mi riceve sempre con immutato affetto. Ormai festeggiare il Natale in pantaloncini e ciabatte e' diventato la normalita', anche se ancora mi risulta difficile accettare il menu, visto che quello e' rimasto come un tempo, ricco, pesante e fatto per l'inverno.

Il viaggio non e' stato particolarmente pesante, seppure lungo. Ho viaggiato con una compagnia aerea diversa, e mi sono fermata in Cina. La cosa che mi ha colpito di piu' e' stata che durante l'atterraggio non potevo vedere proprio nulla, quindi pensavo che l'aeroporto fosse proprio in mezzo al nulla, invece mi sono poi resa conto che era solo una spessa coltre che impediva di vedere bene. Guangzhou, dove ho fatto scalo, non e' vicino a Pechino, dove invece i livelli di inquinamento dell'aria sono bestiali, eppure questo e' il benvenuto che la Grande Madre riserva a tutti, uno strato di polvere giallastra.

Melbourne invece mi ha accolta con un cielo blu e un sole talmente brillante da far male agli occhi.
Non appena sono uscita, col mio bagaglio minuscolo pieno di kit-kat diversi, stanca, impreparata ma felice di incontrare quelle persone che si fanno sempre in quattro per rendere la mia permanenza perfetta.

Che le feste abbiano inizio e buon Natale a tutti.

No comments:

Post a Comment