Saturday, October 17, 2015

Meguro living, take two

Here I am, taking care of my favorite human, and I mean my friend's dog, breathing again the polluted air along road 246 to get to a beautiful, dust-free riverside commuting path.

Here I am, walking streets of the neighborhood, on the alert at every blind corner, swearing at other dog owners.

Here I am, abusing my bicycle and legs to reach places and friends, going out and discovering new bars.

Every time I go back and live in Tokyo's Meguro area I can't but ask myself what the heck I am doing with my life...

I do love the fact that I am independent of public transport. The feeling of freedom one has on a bicycle is great, even if, I have to say, I lose my cool every so often: there I am riding on my lane, signaling changes in directions with my arms, getting to an enjoyable cruise speed and there comes the dumb pedestrian crossing without even looking, there comes the car overtaking me and right after stopping on the side in front of me, there comes the inattentive bicyclist, no lights, no sense of...anything, actually...I mean, you are in the f***ing middle of the motherf***ing way, you idiot!
How these people have survived all these years without the ABC of road rules is and will always remain a mystery to me.

Tokyo, you seriously have to get bike lanes and revise your traffic codes. Yes, seriously.
Anyway, despite my daily, conscious and voluntary self-destructive commuting attempts (again, try and ride a bike for a few days in a row, then talk to me again), there is no denying the fact that I can't stay away from my bicycle now. Everywhere is so close now, reachable in no time, and without transfers! And I can also look around (still being careful, of course) the areas I cycle through! I think I have a pretty good knowledge of Tokyo's roads and signs by now.

Why do I do this, again?

If I go through the whole move-dogsit-commute-move back routine, I am doing a favor to myself. That's right. Let me be selfish here for a minute. Well, yes, of course when it is about helping friends, being available, I am the first to rise a hand. But, mainly, and despite the effort the task may require, I am helping myself. I change my daily routine, I change the place where I live, I change surroundings, I have different responsibilities. And, I always feel on vacation. My friend one day told me that I look much happier and relaxed when I am dog-sitting.

Living with a dog, though, a dog that's not your own, is oftentimes challenging, as you have to quickly adapt to their routine and not vice versa. They are communicative, in their own way, but interpreting their signals is a whole different story: when they are quiet, is it because they are tired, or sad, or upset, or bored, or just-leave-me-alone? My step-hound here is funny: he's over excited and then he's not, he's playful and then he's not, he's hungry and then he's not, he's caring and then he's not. I love watching him making his cute expressions, and the more time we spend together, the more we learn about each other's body language, and need of space.

I also saw a pattern in how he reacts to the separation from his own favorite human: first two days he's fine, then he figures that if another human is with him his own human is not and saddens, his life basically has no meaning, then after another day or so he accepts reality and starts accepting the human as his second favorite.

He's a stubborn dog, and with little patience. Prefers not to be touched too much, unless he's asking for it by cozying up with you. He gives love only when he feels like, not when you ask him to. In one adjective and one word, he is a clever wolf.

I am proud to have managed to teach him new tricks, although he follows only with treats at the moment (no, this is not a Halloween pun), but with practice we'll upgrade from beta phase soon. I can't wait to show all this to his owner!

All in all, I think we understand each other well, now, and the more chances we have to be together, the more we bond.

But I am mad that he gets all the compliments when we're out. I mean, he growls at people and dies to fight other dogs. And yet, people are attracted by his cuteness. Even a taxi driver stopped his taxi, rolled down the window, pulled his hand out and inquired about him!! Wh...How...?

**********

Eccomi qua a prendermi cura del mio essere umano preferito, intendo il cane del mio amico, a respirare di nuovo l'aria inquinata della 246 per raggiungere il percorso carinissimo lungo il fiume.

Eccomi qua, a camminare per le strade del vicinato, in massima allerta a ogni angolo, mandandogliele ai proprietari di altri cani.

Eccomi qua, ad abusare della bici e delle gambe per raggiungere posti e amici, scoprire nuovi bar.
Ogni volta che torno a Meguro non faccio che chiedermi sempre la stessa domanda di che cosa stia facendo della mia vita...

Ammo il fatto di essere indipendente dai trasporti pubblici. La sensazione di liberta' che si prova in bici e' immensa, seppure devo confessare che perdo la calma fin troppo spesso: io sono li con la mia bici, segnalo dove vado, raggiungo finalmente una velocita' di crociera soddisfacente, ed ecco che arriva il pedone distratto che mi attraversa senza neanche guardare, l'autista che prima mi supera e poi di botto si ferma davanti a me, gli altri in bici che in pratica non hanno proprio senso di...nulla...ecchecc...toglietevi dalla mia traiettoria, porca miseria.

Come queste persone siano riuscite a sopravvivere per cosi a lungo senza l'ABC delle regole stradali rimane per me sempre un mistero.

Tokyo, devi proprio trovare un modo di aggiornare il codice stradale e creare piste ciclabili, dico davvero.

In ogni caso, nonostante il mio volontario e giornaliero tentativo di auto-annientamento (eh, andateci voi in bici per qualche giorno e poi ditemi) per recarmi al lavoro, una cosa che non si puo' negare e' ormai non riesco a far nulla senza la mia bici. Posso andare dappertutto, piu' in fretta, senza cambi! E poi posso anche guardarmi intorno, sempre con prudenza, e memorizzare strade e segnali.

Ora...perche' sto facendo sta cosa?

Se mi accollo la tiritera di spostarmi, guardare il cane eccetera, lo faccio per farmi un favore. Si, esatto. E lasciatemi essere egoista una volta. Allora, e' chiaro che se c'e' da aiutare, io sono la prima a partire, pero' la verita' e' che nonostante tutti i sacrifici che la cosa comporta, io mi sto facendo un favore. E poi mi sento in vacanza. Il cambio mi fa bene, e me lo dicono anche i miei amici che sono piu' contenta quando sto con il cane.

Eppure vivere con un cane non tuo, e' piu' una sfida che un piacere, perche' siamo noi ad adattarci al cane e non viceversa. I cani sono comunicativi, a loro modo, ma interpretare i loro segnali e' la parte piu' difficile: quando sono silenziosi e' peprche' sono tristi? Stanchi? Annoiati? Offesi? Indispettiti? Ad esempio il mio cane adottivo e' proprio divertente: prima ha fame poi no. Prima vuole giocare poi no. Prima e' su di giri poi no. Prima si interessa a me poi no. Ma e' tanto simpatico, mi diverto a osservarlo mentre sfodera tutte le sue . E poi piu' tempo passiamo assieme piu' impariamo a rispettare lo spazio dell'altro.

C'e' anche un non so che di ricorrente nel modo in cui reagisce alla separazione dal suo essere umano preferito: i primi due giorni se la cava, poi si rende conto che se c'e' ancora un umano diverso dal suo in casa, significa che il suo umano non c'e' e si intristisce,la sua vita perde di significato, poi ancora si fa coraggio e decide di accettare la nuova situazione cosi che l'umano adesso diventa il suo secondo preferito.

E' un cane cocciuto e senza pazienza, non ama farsi avvicinare a meno che decide lui che puo' lasciarsi coccolare. Da' affetto solo quando gli va, non quando gli viene estorto. In una parola sola, e' intelligente.

Sono pure contenta che gli ho insegnato un nuovo comando, anche se ancora funziona solo a via di bocconcini, ma presto passeremo alla fase successiva, ne sono convinta. Non vedo l'ora di far vedere i progressi al suo padrone!

Alla fine penso proprio che ci capiamo bene io e lui, e piu' occasioni abbiamo di passare insieme, piu' ci capiamo.

C'e' una cosa pero' che mi lascia allibita, che nonostante lui sia aggressivo con le persone e si azzuffa con altri cani, la gente non fa altro che fargli complimenti per quanto e' carino e simpatico...pure un tassista si e' fermato, ha abbassato il finestrino e si e' messo a chiedermi questo e quell'altro riguardo al cane...ma dico, come...?


No comments:

Post a Comment