Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Showa day with a special housemate

It's Showa Day today in Japan!

Once the birthday of the former emperor, the date was later changed into Greenery day in honor of the former emperor's love for nature and later became the day to remember the former emperor of the Showa dynasty, while the Greenery day was moved to May 4, and the Golden Week was initiated.

So, what do the Japanese do on this day? Not much, in fact. The holiday nowadays only reminds the Japanese about the years of that emperor's controversial ruling.

What did I do on this day? Well, plenty. I was already on dog duty, first day. so, first I had to deal with a sad puppy, after his owner had left. Clearly he doesn't like the fact that someone else is staying in his house, sitting on his couch, walking him.

The exercise is actually the only good thing that works to distract him, and in addition it gives me with an amazing workout. So, I walked him three times today. I probably can skip the evening walk, I reckon, as he is right now passed out on the sofa. I took him to Komazawa olympic park, full of enough distractions to keep him busy, and I was joined by a friend who brought all the necessary items for a picnic, including sandwiches (Saint, now!). The gathering was nice, but often interrupted by a combination of the following: dog barking at kids near us, dog barking at dogs, dog pointing at dogs, dog pointing at random runners, dog munching on grass, dog chasing birds. I basically had to stay on the alert and hoping not to get caught up in some canine diatribe...

I am aware of the fact that doggy here doesn't trust me (where is my human gone?), and ignores me (oh, but wait a second, this human has food!), and I hope I'll win him.

I though that as this being the first day (and just parted form his human), I could give him a few treats, as I need to reassure him somehow that I am not an opponent. Let's see what happens at bedtime: if he hops on my bed, then I am in!

***************

Oggi in Giappone e' Showa day!

Una volta compleanno dell'imperatore precedente, la data fu poi cambiata in giornata dell'ecologia in onore proprio dell'amore che l'imperatore aveva per la natura, e poi dopo ancora  divenne il giorno per commemorare il precedente regime, mentre il giorno dedicato alla natura fu spostato al 4 maggio, cosi che adesso abbiamo la golden week.

Allora, cosa fanno i giapponesi in questo giorno di festa? Beh, non molto. Semplicemente si ricordano degli anni di regno del precedente imperatore, segnati da non poche controversie.

Cosa ho fatto io, invece, in questo giorno di festa? Un sacco. Per me e' stato il primo giorno di dog-sitting e quindi per prima cosa ho dovuto combattere con la tristezza del cagnetto dopo che il suo proprietario e' andato via. E' chiaro che non gli va giu' che qualcun altro e' in casa sua, che usa il suo divano, lo fa passeggiare.

Che poi fargli fare un po' di esercizio e' l'unica cosa che funziona per distrarlo, e in piu' mantiene attiva anche me. Gia' oggi l'ho portato a spasso tre volte,e mi sa che posso pure saltare la passeggiata serale perche' al momento e' appisolato sul divano. Oggi l'ho portato al parco olimpico di Komazawa, pieno di distrazioni cosi da tenerlo occupato, e poi una amica mi ha anche raggiunto con tanto di materiale per picnic e tramezzini (santa subito!). La riunione non e' che sia stata tranquilla, anzi, e' stata ripetutamente minata dalla seguente serie di avvenimenti: cane abbaia contro bambini, cane abbaia contro altri cani, cane punta altri cani, cane punta a sportivi a caso, cane smangiucchia l'erba, cane caccia corvi e colombi. In sostanza, devo stare sull'allerta perenne con lui, nella speranza che non mi includa in qualche diatriba canina...

Sono consapevole del fatto che canino qua non si fida (dove e' andato il mio umano?) e mi ignora (oh, pero' aspetta questa umana ha da mangiare!) , ma spero di vincere la sua benevolenza.

Visto che oggi e' stato il primo giorno assieme, ho provato a ingraziarmelo con alcuni snack, sperando di riassicurarlo cosi' che non mi consideri un opponente. Vediamo che succede all'ora della nanna: se va a dormire nella camera con me, significa che ce l'ho fatta.


No comments:

Post a Comment