Friday, September 12, 2014

Whine, Wine and Systems Biology

I didn't bother to charge my laptop battery before departure, as I thought that I wouldn't need to use the computer during the short flight to Hong Kong and that I could have done so during the long-ish wait at the terminal....yeah, if I had remembered to bring the plug adaptor.
So now with the little juice left I try to let time pass.

Anyway, people do need to seriously learn to travel...

Chinese woman sitting next to me, I guess that Kevin could have lived as happily as before even if you didn't call him 7 (Seven, I counted) times from the moment the wheels touched the ground to the moment the plane stopped. I mean, that's, like, 4 minutes in total. People know you are traveling, they can wait.

And, Chinese woman next to me again, why on earth do you have to walk over me - I have a aisle seat - and rush to get your bags while the aisle is completely packed by people who thought doing the same? I mean, if the door's not open, guess what, you can't leave the plane even if you make it to front line.

And what is this need to stand up as soon as the plane comes to a halt....it's not that, you know, if you miss this stop the conductor will deliver you to, say, Katmandu. There is only one stop, and it is final. They'll wait for you to disembark before calling it a day. No need to be in a hurry.

I feel more claustrophobic in those 5 minutes while everyone stood than in a Tokyo subway train...but that's another story.

I hate landings. They are stressful. MAN.

So, where am I traveling to? There is a systems biology conference in Melbourne and I am attending it. To be honest, I DREAD flying long distances, especially given that I can't sleep.

During the past two weeks my insomnia worsened, I wonder whether the wineries in Victoria state ("the place to be" according to car plates) will be of any help for this.

More to come. About the conference, that is...

*************

Non mi sono minimamente preoccupata di ricaricare la batteria del computer visto che pensavo che non mi sarebbe servito nel breve volo su Hong Kong e che avrei potuto tranquillamente sedermi e ricaricare la batteria mentre in transito...se mi fossi ricordata dell'adattatore per le prese forse ci sarei riuscita. Percio' cerco di trascorrere l'attesa con quel poco di batteria che mi rimane.

Comunque, la gente dovrebbe davvero imparare a viaggiare...

Tu, donna cinese che siedi accanto a me, sono sicura che Kevin avrebbe vissuto felicemente come prima anche se tu non lo avessi chiamato 7 volte (sette, le ho contate) dal momento in cui le ruote hanno toccato terra fino a quando l'aereo si e' fermato. Dico, questo e' in totale tipo 4 minuti. La gente sa che stai viaggiando, possono benissimo aspettare.

Poi, sempre tu, donna cinese seduta accanto a me, che bisogno c'e' di scavalcarmi -ho un posto corridoio- per raggiungere le tue borse e aspettare in piedi nel corridoio che e' pieno di altri passeggeri che hanno pensato di fare lo stesso...Dico, se le porta non si apre, indovina un po', non ti fanno lasciare l'aereo anche se sei in prima fila.

E poi qual'e' tutto questo bisogno di mettersi in piedi non appena l'aereo si ferma...non e' che se non scendi a questa fermata la prossima e', che so, Katmandu. La fermata e' una sola ed e' quella. Non c'e' bisogno di correre.

Sono piu' claustrofobica in questi 5 minuti di attesa che in un treno di Tokyo...ma questa e' un'altra storia.
Non li sopportio gli atterraggi.

Dunque, dove mi dirigo? C'e' una conferenza di biologia dei sistemi a Melbourne, ed e' li che sto andando. Onestamente, non li sopporto proprio i viaggi lunghi, soprattutto perche' non dormo.

Nelle ultime due settimane la mia insonnia e' peggiorata parecchio, magari le aziende vinicole dello stato del Victoria saranno di aiuto.

Presto altre informazioni. Sulla conferenza, intendo.

No comments:

Post a Comment