Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Melbourne, Take 5

There is one big difference between being in Melbourne for work and for visiting family. Other than the obvious one that work is not leisure. 

Being in town for work means that I have my hotel where to stay, and I am on my own. ON. MY. OWN. I could build a personal, more intimate relationship with this city, because it is just us, me and the streets, me and the river, me and the park, me and the cafes. Something that is not always possible as guests. 

The city wakes up very early on weekdays, people rushing to get that coffee on the go and start another working day. Trams cut through, loading and unloading commuters, freshly shaven men, red-lipped women, business travelers. 

Being this my fifth time (five times!!) down under, I more or less know how to get around. First things first, after I am done with the conference stuff, I re-familiarized with the CBD (did you know that the streets in the CBD have an order? King, William, Queen, Elizabeth, and so on….easy to remember), I arranged to meet friends, and I was free to walk as much as I wanted, stay as late as I wanted, no curfew, no depending on others. I checked the best coffee place in town, a few of the too many nice pubs, I did even get a tram card!! Being again in Melbourne felt so so good. Especially when I meet locals asking ME directions...

There is also something about the Yarra river I can't quite explain. No matter how many times I walk along its banks, no matter how many pictures I take from every possible angle of every possible view at any possible time of the day, I still have to go there, take more pictures and walk around restless. Must be the hydrogen bonds… (get it? get it?)

But, being with family means that I can hop in a car and forget about the rest, as others will take care of all the details. The advantage of visiting relatives lays in pampering, spoiling, caring. No need to say, every day of my stay was planned ahead (especially regarding the feeding schedule), and weather allowing, we could largely stick to the plan. In a way, thinking of it now, being with my folks felt like coming back home after a short vacation. 

On my first weekend "home" we all went to a park for a picnic, I played soccer with the kids,  and loved soaking in the spring sun. The day after I  had a girls only date with my cousins and we all spent a lovely day at a boathouse by the river.

Visiting the countryside is also part of the routine when I am in Melbourne, and for the first time I could see green all around, as I usually visit during the summer months when everything is dry and rough. There is also something magic about being on the road on a rainy day, watching the fog enveloping all trees and hills in the distance.

I can't not check out the seaside, and this time Altona beach is our pick: a long, wide and shallow stretch of sand and rocks that despite the beautiful summery day was rather empty. Football grand final on that day may explain why…

Even the most famous most Italian bar on the most Italian street Brunetti on Lygon is barely filled. By the way, I was told that all the waiters working there make sure to stress their Italian (fake or not) accent. I know where to look for my next job, then... 

As quick as it started, my short stay in Melbourne is already at its last day, the only few things left to do being make sure that my cousins have kisses and hugs enough to last to the next return.

***********

C'e' un'enorme differenza tra essere a Melbourne per lavoro e per trovare i parenti. A parte la ovvia differenza che il lavoro non e' piacere.

Essere in città per lavoro significa che sto in hotel, e sono per conto mio. DA. SOLA. E' possibile costruire una connessione più intima, personale con questa città, perché siamo solo noi, io e le strade, io e il fiume, io e il parco, io e i caffè. Qualcosa che non e' possibile quando si e' ospiti.

La citta si sveglia presto durante la settimana, gente che si affretta a ordinare un caffe al volo e incominciare la giornata. I tram attraversano il centro, caricano e scaricano pendolari, uomini sbarbati, donne dalle labbra rosse, gente d'affari.

Essendo questa la mia quinta volta in Australia (cinque volte!!), diciamo che conosco bene la zona. Per prima cosa, non appena la mia conferenza e' finita, prendo tempo per familiarizzare di nuovo con il centro (lo sapevate che le strade qui seguono un ordine preciso? King, William, Queen, Elizabeth, eccetera…facile da ricordare), per organizzare incontri con amici, cammino fin quando ne ho voglia, sto fino a tardi, non mi preoccupo di disturbare nessuno per ritornare a casa. Ho poi anche provato vari bar con i caffè più buoni, ristoranti, pub, e mi sono persino procurata una tessera per il tram! Essere di nuovo a Melbourne mi fa stare bene. Soprattutto quando la gente del posto ferma ME per chiedere informazioni…

C'e' poi qualcosa di particolare riguardo al fiume Yarra che non riesco a spiegare. Non importa quante volte lo attraverso, quante foto faccio do ogni possibile scorcio a ogni possibile ora del giorno, ma devo tornarci, e stare quanto più vicino possibile. Deve essere tutta colpa dei legami a idrogeno…(capita?)

Pero', stare in famiglia significa salire in macchina e dimenticarsi di tutto il resto visto che ci pensano gli altri. Il vantaggio di andare a trovare i parenti e' la cura, l'essere viziati e coccolati. Non c'e' bisogno di dirlo, che tutti i miei giorni erano già pianificati (specialmente per quanto riguarda la tabella di alimentazione), e tempo permettendo siamo riusciti in generale a attenerci al piano. A pensarci adesso, sembrava come se fossi tornata a casa dopo una breve vacanza.

Il primo fine settimana a "casa" siamo tutti andati al parco per un picnic, ho giocato a calcio con i piccoli e ho assorbito il sole di primavera. Il giorno dopo sono andata per una uscita sole donne, e abbiamo visitato una rimessa per barche sul fiume.

Fare un giro in campagna e' parte integrante del viaggio ogni volta che vado a Melbourne, e stavolta ho visto verde tutto intorno, mentre quando di solito vado, in estate, e' tutto glabro e arido. C'e' poi un certo non so che di magico riguardo al trovarsi in strada mentre piove, guardare la nebbia che abbraccia tutti gli alberi e le colline tutt'intorno.

Non posso poi non fare un salto al lungomare, e stavolta si va a Altona: una striscia lunga, piatta e larga di sabbia e sassi che alla faccia del bellissimo giorno di sole e' abbastanza vuota. La finale di football nello stesso giorno potrebbe spiegare il perché. Persino il bar italiano più italiano che c'e' nella strada più italiana che c'e', Brunetti a Lygon street, e' poco popolato. Comunque, mi e' stato detto che tutti quelli che lavorano li si preoccupano di parlare cono un marcato accento italiano, vero o falso che sia. Mi sa che so a quale porta bussare quando cercherò lavoro…


Così come e' iniziata, la mia breve vacanza rapidamente volge al termine, e l'unica cosa che rimane da fare e' assicurarmi che i miei cugini ricevano abbastanza baci e abbracci fino al mio prossimo ritorno.


















No comments:

Post a Comment