Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Cycling in Tokyo - Route 15, temples, rivers and shabu-shabu

Sunday. The smell of 5-grains cake baked the night before still lingers in the living room.

AM 7:00. It's a sunny morning outside, ideal for a bicycle ride.

AM 7:10. Nope, it's not a sunny morning anymore. Plan change, I am not riding in the rain. 

PM 1:00. Against all odds the sky opens up again, so without hesitation I am off to what will be a very 32 KM entertaining bicycle ride across Tokyo.

Some technical information about the whole adventure: I rode a bike from my workplace in Tsurumi to Asakusabashi, where my friend and owner of the bike I want to ride is, all the way along route 15 but the last few kilometers, when I took route 6. Easier route, and one I know quite well, so that I don't need to check the map while riding. See? Very responsible of me. Now, not having a proper bike, nor proper experience in dealing with car drivers in the city, I kept a low profile and rode along the walkways. Note to experienced cyclists: Tokyo metropolis doesn't always have bike lanes (maybe only 25% of the roads have). Also people here have really no common sense in riding a bike. And engineers have no common sense in urban planning. For these reasons, using the pedestrians sideways is pretty normal and widely practiced, although not pretty safe all the time...

PM 2:00. I fetch the bike at RIKEN and I start my ride while the day turned sunny and hot. I take it as a good sign of a mission that's going to end well. I make a brief stop at a bike shop to get the tyre pumped, then I am off, destination Tokyo Sky Tree and vicinity.

PM 2:30. I am already in Kawasaki, crossing the prefectural border between Kanagawa and Tokyo prefectures that's physically and conveniently shared with the Tama river. Nice view on that day over the river banks!

PM 3:45. South Shinagawa!!! I made it fast, despite all the architectural barriers that slowed down my ride and annoyed me this much…Expectedly, in a heavily urbanized centre like Tokyo metropolitan area, it is not unusual to find constructions that either make pedestrians and cyclists lives a hassle or make the city look ugly (see later when I get to Nihombashi), and I indeed had to make detours here and there, leaving the main road to get back in it a few blocks further, simply because I was on the wrong side of the road and I couldn't continue  because there were no lines  at the crossing I was meant to pass (or no traffic lights, or there was a bridge for pedestrian that had no lane for bikes, meh). But that meant more adventures, as I discovered things along the way…getting lost was impossible, given that the road signs with directions are super clear and easy to read. But spotting temples (like the pretty one in South Shinagawa), canals, cute little houses, a nice view was instead always a bonus.

PM 4:10. I leave the temple where I stopped for 30 minutes and keep on going….I am reaching the core of the city, the are that sits within the circle of Yamanote train line that roughly marks the center boundaries….And the weather still looks good. Chance of rain has dropped to zero. It can't be better. 
PM 4:40. I am in the embassies area, near Tokyo Tower, and I can't not take a detour just to get a bit closer. But not too close, as I want to make it to my final destination before dark….this time of the year night comes around 6:30pm.

PM 5:00. Ginza!!! I am here, cycling along the most expensive stretch of route 15 while it is closed to the traffic. I have the best fun here, where I took millions of photos of people strolling and sitting and window-shopping, while cycling. And, I also met a couple of friends by chance! Besides, I am getting real close now to Asakusabashi.

PM 5:20. Nihombashi. This district is really famous because it maintains an old splendor, where one can see buildings that look full of history, and perhaps the most beautiful bridge in whole Tokyo (where the district takes its name from). This bridge and the whole neighborhood is totally spoiled by the highway tracks that run just above the bridge and follow the canal for a good portion of its course, hiding everything else to the view. Shame shame shame.

PM 5:40. I finally see the Tokyo Sky Tree, standing tall and shining. Just few minutes later I am stopping by the bridge in Asakusabashi to take photos of the lively sides of the canal that recalls ancient times. It reminds me a little bit of Kyoto, with all the boat houses directly facing the water and a little bit of Fukuoka with all the small restaurants lined up along the canal. Just. Beautiful.

And here my ride is over. It was a great afternoon, made greater by one detail: I did not encounter one single red light all along the route! Not one single time! My riding pace went like in a fluid motion, slowed down only occasionally by spacial-unaware pedestrians or by lack of room on the side walks. In the end I made it within 4 hours, which was much faster than my expectations given all the detours.

Even on my way back home (by train) I had a smooth ride: I had the train just waiting for me when I departed and also when I transferred. It must have been my lucky day.

*************

Domenica. Il profumo della torta ai cereali e cannella fatta la sera prima si sente ancora nell'aria.

Ore 7:00. Cielo sereno, giornata ideale per una gita in bici.

Ore 7:10. Non e' più una giornata di sole. Piano annullato. Non mi va di stare in giro sotto la pioggia.

Ore 13:00. Alla faccia delle previsioni meteo, il cielo si fa pian piano azzurro, quindi senza esitare mi accingo a iniziare quella che sarà una divertente gita in bicicletta per 32 chilometri attraversando Tokyo.

Ora passiamo a un paio di informazioni tecniche: ho percorso la distanza tra Tsurumi, dove lavoro, a Asakusabashi dove abita il mio amico e nonché proprietario della bici che mi ritrovo. Ho scelto la superstrada 15, che collega le due città, e poi solo gli ultimi chilometri ho preso la 6. L'itinerario e' quello più semplice, e poi conosco la strada molto bene così che non ho avuto bisogno di controllare la mappa mentre mi trovavo in strada. Che persona responsabile, visto? Ora, il fatto che non avevo una bici apposta per le corse, e non fidandomi molto degli autisti in città, invece di pedalare sulla strada ho scelto i marciapiedi. Nota per i ciclisti appassionati: Tokyo non e' che abbia poi tante piste ciclabili…tra le altre cose la gente qui non ha proprio senso pratico in bici, e gli ingegneri non sembrano avere molto senso pratico nella pianificazione urbana. Di conseguenza, per questi motivi, l'uso dei marciapiedi e' altamente incentivato e raccomandato, seppure non e' tanto sicuro…

Ore 14:00. Prelevo la bici dal RIKEN e inizio il giro, con un sole che batte a picco che prendo come segno di buona riuscita della missione. Mi fermo un attimo al negozio di bici per gonfiare le ruote e poi sono già pronta per il viaggio con destinazione Tokyo Sky Tree.

Ore 14:30. Sono già a Kawasaki, e sto per attraversare il confine tra le province di Kanagawa e Tokyo, confine che coincide esattamente con il corso del fiume Tama, bellissimo sotto il cielo blu.

Ore 15:45. Shinagawa sud!!! Alla faccia di tutte le barriere architettoniche che mi hanno rallentato e fatto innervosire, ho fatto prestissimo…c'e' infatti da aspettarsi che in un centro urbanizzato come Tokyo e' facile trovare spesso ponti, cavalcavia, svincoli di autostrade e tutto ciò che o rende difficile la vita di pedoni e ciclisti o rende la città veramente inguardabile (più su questo argomento quando raggiungo Nihombashi), e difatti spesso ho dovuto deviare di un bel po solo perché mi trovavo sul lato della strada senza strisce pedonali all'incrocio (oppure non c'era il semaforo o c'era un cavalcavia solo per pedoni). Tuttavia ogni deviazione era una nuova avventura visto che scoprivo qualcosa di nuovo ogni volta…perdersi e' impossibile visto che le indicazioni sono a prova di bambino. Il bonus era scovare un tempio (tipo quello a Shinagawa), un fiume, un quartiere carino…

Ore 16:10. Dopo essermi fermata per 30 minuti al tempio, riparto e mi addentro nel vero e proprio centro di Tokyo, quello marcato dalla linea circolare del treno…e la giornata e' ancora serena e senza più minaccia di pioggia. Meglio di così non può andare.

Ore 16:40. Raggiungo l'area delle ambasciate straniere, vicino Tokyo Tower. Ovviamente una deviazione e' d'obbligo, ma non troppo altrimenti rischio di arrivare a destinazione col buio….in questo periodo dell'anno infatti fa già buio alle 18:30.

Ore 17:00. Ginza!!! Eccomi qui, a pedalare lungo il pezzo di strada più costoso durante le ore chiuse al traffico. Mi e' piaciuto tantissimo qui, andarmene in giro in bici e fare foto della gente che passeggia, o che guarda le vetrine o che si rilassa…ho pure incontrato per caso una coppia di amici! E ora sono proprio vicina a Asakusabashi.

Ore 17:20. Nihombashi. Questa zona e' tanto famosa perché conserva ancora un certo antico splendore, si vanta di costruzioni che hanno un certo non so che di architettonico e allo stesso tempo antico, e possiede forse il ponte più bello di tutta Tokyo (lo stesso da cui il distretto prende nome). Ora, il suddetto ponte e l'intera area sono completamente rovinati dal fatto che proprio sopra il canale su cui sorge il ponte si snoda l'autostrada, nascondendo praticamente tutto. Vergogna, vergogna, vergogna.

Ore 17:40. Posso finalmente scorgere il profilo di Tokyo Sky Tree! Un paio di minuti dopo mi trovo già a fare un giro intorno al ponte a Asakisabashi che e' tanto bello e sa di tempi passati. Un po' mi ricorda Kyoto e un po' Fukuoka, con le sue piattaforme per salire in battello e le file di ristoranti lungo le sponde del canale. Proprio bello.

Qui si conclude la mia avventura e consegno la bici al suo proprietario. E' stato un pomeriggio fantastico, reso speciale da un dettaglio: in tutto il tragitto non ho beccato un singolo semaforo rosso, neanche uno!! Era come se andassi in un movimento fluido, solo rallentato ogni tanto da passanti senza concezione spazio-temporale o da marciapiedi troppo stretti. Alla fine ci ho messo solo 4 ore, che e' poco considerando tutte le varie deviazioni.


Persino il mio ritorno a casa (in treno) e' stato liscio come l'olio. Sara' che era il mio giorno fortunato. 

RIKEN

Pump, pump, pump!

Kawasaki

Tama river

Border crossing

Kamata

cute dark couple

Omori

Temple - Omori

Temple - Omori

Shinagawa shrine

Shinagawa shrine 

Canal near Shinagawa

Approaching Shinagawa

Shinagawa

Tamachi

Shinbashi

Ginza

Nihonbashi

Asakusabashi

Canal in Asakusabashi

2 comments:

  1. You, you, you rode my baby all the way there? I couldn't be happier! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, you, you have no ida how happy I am to know that! It was a very entertaining afternoon :)

      Delete