Thursday, July 10, 2014

Submission on a typhoon day

This is the moment every PhD student dreams and dreads: paper submission. Well, yes, before the defense day...

Today, after months of frustration, anger, hope, joy and the remaining shades in the rainbow of emotions, it was the day. Today I eventually sent my paper to a journal. I did not submit just A paper, but I submitted THE paper, the one that adds a three letter title to my name. Well, will add it one day.

Soooo, it all happened like I would have never predicted it would. I was more expecting a hysterical version of me where I don't sleep, I don't wash my hair, I don't eat and just drink as much coffee as Colombia can produce and I am irascible. Not. at. all. 

First, the last couple of weeks, while boss pressed to submit, I cautiously slowed down. Before it was the other way around. I mean, haste makes waste. And waste, I did too much already in every possible field. So, when important stuff is on its way, let's handle it with care.

Second, I didn't blink at all the last minute details that popped out: labels to fix, figures to re-draw, data to be error-tested, tables to update. I mean, not that I liked it, but I was so expecting it to happen that I was prepared for it. I didn't get agitated and instead I coldly sat there and one thing after another, I finished up, polished up, cleaned up everything. Totally unflappable.

Third, text revisions. I mean, unless one decided to stop it, the hack-read-edit-hack loop could have gone forever. And I didn't mind it at all. Refining something that's already finished is much easier and funnier than getting the whole thing started.

Fourth, I fucking damn hate those fucking bloody p-values from hell. This submission told me that I am weaker than I thought in statistics. If my stats and probability exam professor is reading this now, she'll want me back to uni right now!

Fifth, the submission procedure was easier than I thought. It could be that tomorrow I will realize that instead of the paper I sent my shopping list in, or that I sent the paper to the NY Times…but at least today it looked pretty smooth. As a preventive measure, I will drink to the point I'll get cirrhosis, so that if tomorrow I will have bad news, thinking about suicide will already be too late.

Sixth, emptiness and pressure release were all I could feel after I received the email with a confirmation that my submission was successful. So now what? I wait.

Seventh, everyone congratulates. Not that I don't appreciate it (quite the opposite, although my reaction might suggest otherwise), and I would have done the same with any colleagues, but I simply think I haven't "achieved" anything. However, I figured that people who went through the process with me for the last 2-ish years and people who endured my dramas were itchy to celebrate. I owed them a celebration.

Eight, there's always a typhoon spoiling my topic moments. The strongest typhoon of the last many years, and the earliest (out of season, I'd rather say), is meant to hit Tokyo area overnight and through the morning. No panic, people, as it weakened along the way from Okinawa, so it is not going to cause damage. But it made it harder to decide whether to party or not today, as it may anyway disrupt public transport and people may have troubles returning home. 
I was glad to see many colleagues (and friends) showing up for beers and, later, joining for dinner. I have to confess that I would have preferred to go straight home and go to bed, to have some time to process the events of the day. But for that I will have time in the morning, because we've been authorized to stay home until the typhoon passes.

I can't but thank everyone for their patience and support shown in several ways. And I brace for the next phase: review process hell.

********

Questo e' il momento che ogni dottorando sogna e agogna: presentazione del proprio articolo. Prima della dissertazione, intendo...

Oggi, dopo mesi di frustrazione, rabbia, speranza e le rimanenti sfumature nell'arcobaleno delle emozioni, e' quel giorno. Oggi ho finalmente mandato il mio articolo a una rivista scientifica. Non e' che ho mandato UN articolo, ho mandato L'articolo per eccellenza, quello che aggiunge (quello che un giorno aggiungerà) un titolo al mio nome.

Allora. Tutto e' successo come non avrei mai previsto. Ero pronta a una versione isterica di me stessa, senza riposo, capelli sporchi, denutrita e dipendente di tutta la caffeina che la Colombia possa produrre, irascibile. E invece no.

Primo, nelle ultime settimane, mentre il mio capo urge a finire, io più cautamente freno. Invece prima era tutto il contrario. Beh, insomma, la fretta e' cattiva consigliera, e siccome ho già rovinato un sacco di cose, meglio rallentare e fare attenzione.

Secondo, non mi sono scomposta più di tanto alla marea di correzioni dell'ultimo minuto: definizioni, figure, test da rifare, tabelle da aggiornare. Non intendo certo dire che la cosa mi sia piaciuta, ma siccome mi aspettavo tutto questo, mi sono preparata e invece di agitarmi ho sistemato una cosa dopo l'altra con distacco. Proprio impassibile.

Terzo, il testo. Dico, uno alla fine deve decidere quando porre fine al circolo vizioso del correggi-leggi-correggi, altrimenti non si finisce mai. E stare la a ritoccare il testo mi piaceva pure. E' più divertente e facile rifinire qualcosa di già fatto, invece che partire da zero.

Quarto, odio e dico odio quei dannati p-value del cavolo! Una cosa utile che ho imparato durante questo processo e' che in statistica ho lacune impressionanti. Se la mia professoressa di calcolo delle probabilità mi sta leggendo, sicuramente mi farebbe tornare all'università all'istante.

Quinto, la procedura per inviare l'articolo e' stata più facile di quanto immaginassi. Magari domani mi renderò conto che invece dell'articolo ho mandato la lista della spesa, oppure che ho mandato l'articolo NY Times…ma almeno oggi la cosa mi e' sembrata semplice. Come misura preventiva, stasera berrò fino a farmi venire la cirrosi, così che se domani ricevo cattive notizie, l'idea di un suicido sarà comunque fuori luogo.

Sesto, tutto quello che riuscivo a provare quando ho ricevuto la conferma dell'avvenuta registrazione via email, e' stato vuoto e spossatezza. E ora? Aspetto.

Settimo, tutti si congratulano. Non e' che ora io non l'apprezzi (anzi, seppure la mia reazione dica tutto il contrario, lo apprezzo tanto), e anche io avrei fatto lo stesso coi colleghi, ma non mi sento di aver raggiunto nessun traguardo. Comunque sia, ho capito che coloro che hanno vissuto tutto il processo negli ultimi 2 anni circa, e coloro che mi hanno comunque sopportato, avevano intenzione di festeggiare la cosa. Glielo dovevo.

Ottavo, c'e' sempre un tifone che rovina i momenti topici. Il più potente degli ultimi tanti anni, e quello più precoce (io direi fuori stagione) dovrebbe raggiungere Tokyo nella nottata di oggi. Ma niente panico, il tifone si e' indebolito parecchio nel suo corso dalle isole di Okinawa, quindi non corriamo nessun pericolo. In ogni caso ha reso la decisione se festeggiare oggi o no difficile, visto che ci poeva esser il rischio che i trasporti pubblici fossero interrotti. Sono stata contenta di vedere molti colleghi (e amici) farsi vivi per una birra e poi dopo per cena. Devo confessare che avrei preferito andare a casa e prendere del tempo per processare gli eventi della giornata. Ma per quello ci sarà tempo domani mattina, visto che siamo stati autorizzati a stare a casa fino a che il tifone sia passato.


Non posso che ringraziare tutti per la loro pazienza e il loro sostegno dimostrati in vari modi. E mi preparo per la fase successiva: il diabolico iter di revisione.







No comments:

Post a Comment