Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Small things, great minds and oatmeal cookies

A day without distraction was so much needed. I deliberately isolated myself for one day, mostly to see whether I could get things out of my mind. I always say that small things worry (not amuse) small minds, and perhaps it really is my case here. What things could possibly keep my head so wrapped up in? I just know that from an insider's point of view there is no such a thing like a small thing. I don't want to sound dramatic, but perhaps we all do tend to overstate from time to time…..right?

But not today. My productivity and my time management were golden, today. I started reading and replying to emails around 8:30 am, while sipping my coffee. I did that for about an hour, then checked the news, then sat down in front of my task of the day: I focused on paper writing. Interpreting my results and then putting that into words was so easy today. I worked in bursts of concentration of perhaps 120 min each, more or less, I took a long break for lunch, then back again on references search, reading, inferring, concluding, documenting, e-mailing.

It was such a productive day today that after I was done I even had time to go for a 40min run by the river, the third in 4 days (not bad at all!), and it was at a time when I could see many colleagues leave work to go home. This time I ran the direction opposite to my usual route, and I made a mental note that a run to my workplace from home is way shorter than my itinerary the opposite way…

I went back after my jog and I still had time to bake some oatmeal cookies (first time, good results), watch some comedy shows, get a leg massage with scented oil and sit down and write this post.

I now have got things on my mind again, but I am off work already so I can allow myself to process small thoughts again. 

****************

Un giorno senza distrazioni era proprio quello che ci voleva. Ho deliberatamente scelto di isolarmi per un giorno, più che altro per vedere se potevo togliermi alcuni pensieri dalla testa. Dico sempre che menti piccole si preoccupano di cose piccole, e forse e' proprio il mio caso qui. Cosa sarà mai che mi può tenere la mente tanto occupata? Io so solo che per uno che ci sta dentro non esistono preoccupazioni piccole. Non voglio sembrare drammatica, ma forse tutti tendiamo un po' a ingigantire ogni tanto….no?

Ma non oggi. Oggi, la mia produttività e la mia gestione del tempo erano d'oro proprio. Ho iniziato a leggere e rispondere a e-mail già alle 8:30 del mattino, mentre bevevo il caffè. Per un'ora e' ciò che ho fatto, poi ho leggiucchiato le notizie, poi mi sono seduta di fronte al mio compito del giorno: mi sono concentrata a scrivere il mio articolo. Oggi interpretare i risultati e metterli per iscritto e' stato facile. Ho lavorato più o meno a intervalli di due ore, poi ho preso una lunga pausa per il pranzo e poi di nuovo a ricerca di referenze, scrivere conclusioni, dedurre, documentare, eccetera.

E' stato un giorno talmente produttivo oggi che dopo aver finito ho anche avuto tempo di andare a correre per 40 minuti lungo il fiume, la terza volta in 4 giorni (mica male!), ed era proprio in quell'ora quando i colleghi escono dall'ufficio. stavolta, invece che il mio tragitto usuale, e ho preso nota del fatto che correre tra casa e ufficio e' più breve in distanza che correre il mio percorso abituale nella direzione opposta…

Tornata dalla corsa ho avuto anche il tempo di fare dei biscotti ai cereali (con ottimi risultati), guardare Ficarra e Picone, massaggio alle gambe con olio profumato e infine scrivere questo post.


Ora ho di nuovo ripreso il corso dei miei pensieri, ma sono fuori dall'orario di lavoro e quindi mi posso permettere di processare queste mie piccole preoccupazioni.


No comments:

Post a Comment