Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Year End Message - Messaggio di fine anno

I am sorry, but I have to do it. Time for the year end review, year end resolutions and year end procrastination. And a year end message. I know, I know, but you don't have to go through this if you don't really want to. So, many crucial events marked this year, since the very beginning. To cite all of them would take too long, so I will shorten up the list a lot, buy mentioning a few key ones. 

North Korea heats up the already unstable relationships with neighboring countries and U.S., ensuring the start of a nuclear program, threatening of bombing here and there. The N. Korean leader later in this year had his uncle executed. A spoiled kid with too much free time in his hands and not much brain is all that takes to sink a county on the verge of bankruptcy even deeper.  
2013 was the year of rebellions for many middle eastern and north African countries, the so called "Arab Spring"; later, Egyptian president Morsi's regime is overthrown after he was accused of genocide. Situation in Egypt is still unstable, so is in Syria where a civil war broke earlier this year and is ongoing. Now riots happen in Thailand and South Sudan, Congo. Nowhere is safe nor peaceful, it seems.
There was a terroristic attacks in Boston, during the city's marathon. Not even sports event are left alone…toady's news about attacks in Russia seem to have something to do with the winter games in Sochi… ohdear.
Oh, and in Sicily, the Etna volcano erupted 15 times this year!! WOW. I wish I was there. I mean, you should once in your life watch how spectacular lava explosions are!  Who needs fireworks! 

Anywho.
I found a note from April, with what seems to be a resolution plan. Looking at it now, of all things I haven't accomplished a single one. What comes out of it is that I have been a great procrastinator. So. No more lists, no more I-promise-myself-I-will-try-this-time attempts, no more fails (for not accomplishing nada). 
Instead, now that I finally have a few days for myself, I can review my own year. These last few days of 2013, as DdR says, have to be used to build the start of the upcoming new year. These days I can think of how to put an end to the last 12 months, how to come clean and ready to start off anew.

The whole last year I have lived in constant energy low, I carried on using the extra power batteries for the emergencies but without recharging them after use. Yet another meeting with someone I care(d) a lot about was delusional, it left me confused and disoriented. Not enough time to recover from it that I jump head first into another situation that screamed trouble since the very first moment, but I played deaf. Now I feel there are unspoken words, unresolved issues I would love to take care of, somehow. Not to say that it is bringing me down…

Some friendships became a heavy weight, hanging off me and slowing down my ride. Clear cut is the solution, and this time of the year seems to be perfect for that deep cleaning I always postpone. 

To put trust in people becomes harder with time and experience. Having mainly bad experiences doesn't help to have a fair evaluation. And, yes, I have a tendency not to learn from past experiences and to make the same mistake again. Am too naive, I always believe there is a tiny bit of humanity and good will in everyone. In general, it is said that you give what you get and you get what you give. I feel I have given way too much, but I haven't gotten much. It is as well true, though, that some people deserve to get even more than I have so far given. There are always exceptions. There are always people worth my efforts and attentions, no matter what comes in return.

Defining my professional identity would be another great milestone in the achievements plan, I have over estimated myself when I started the PhD path, I have gone back to that decision a few times. Not because it is bad per se, quite the opposite, actually. But, is pursuing a career in science what I should do? What if I suddenly made a choice and change radically? This time seems to be quite good to give a thought or two to that, too…

Health-wise, I can't complain. I run once a week or so, I workout occasionally, I practice yoga. Body is fit, then, although I caught too many colds. Perhaps weak immune system due to overall stress. I was a stressful year this one, on many aspects. It also matters the fact that I don't dance salsa (THE anti-stress) as much and as often as I used to, and this had a huge impact on my stress release activities. 

Now, the take home message:

Whether snowboarding or running, whether sitting at home doing nothing or read in bed, whether traveling or finishing up work, whatever your ways to spend year-end vacation are, take some time and pause, breathe slowly, let your surroundings fade, enjoy the silence, set your mind free and start again from time zero. 

Happy New Year to all

*************

Lo mi dispiace, ma devo farlo. E' tempo per una revisione di fine anno, per i buoni propositi e per sconfiggere l'inerzia. E anche per un messaggio di fine anno. Lo so, lo so, se volete non e' necessario andare fino alla fine…Dunque, un bel po' di fatti sono stati cruciali quest'anno, ma accenno solo ad alcuni, visto che non mi basterebbe una pagina per menzionarli tutti.

La Corea del Nord mina le relazioni internazionali, già instabili, minacciando di iniziare un programma nucleare, di bombardare qui e li. Verso la fine dell'anno il leader nordcoreano condanna a morte lo zio. Un esempio di un ragazzo viziato con troppo tempo libero a disposizione e non molto cervello che porta ancora più in basso una nazione già al collasso.
Il 2013 e' stato l'anno delle ribellioni in molte nazioni del nord Africa e del medio oriente, quel vento di liberazione che e' stato chiamato "Primavera Araba", successivamente il presidente egiziano Morsi viene rimosso dal potere dopo che e' stato accusato di genocidio. La situazione in Egitto e' ancora instabile, e lo e' ancor meno in Siria dove all'inizio dell'anno e' scoppiata una guerra civile che continua ancora. Rivolte si sono verificate in Tailandia, nel Sud Sudan, in Congo. A quanto pare, nessun luogo e' al sicuro.
A Boston, durante la maratona, si verifica un attacco terroristico. A quanto pare, neanche gli eventi sportivi sono immuni…Notizie di questi giorni riguardano poi gli attacchi in Russia, che sembra possano avere connessioni con i giochi invernali a Sochi…
Ah, e poi, dico l'Etna e le sue 15 attività eruttive di quest'anno???Spettacolo. Avrei voluto essere li, e ognuno di noi nella vita dovrebbe assistere a qualcosa del genere. Chi ha bisogno dei fuochi d'artificio!

Comunque sia…..l'altro giorno ho trovato delle note riguardo a una lista di quelli che sembrano propositi, scritta ad Aprile. Di tutti i punti, non ne ho finalizzato nemmeno uno. Il risultato e' che sono stata una pigra di prima qualità. Di conseguenza, niente liste, niente sforzi, e niente fallimenti (per non aver concluso nada).
Invece, visto che ora ho qualche giorno per me, posso rivedere il mio anno. Gli ultimi giorni del 2013 devono essere dedicati a costruire l'inizio del nuovo anno. In questi giorni posso pensare come terminare questi 12 mesi e come uscirne pronta per ricominciare da capo.

Questo intero anno sono stata in costante calo energetico, sono andata avanti facendo uso delle batterie di scorta, ma senza poterle ricaricare.

alcune amicizie sono diventate una zavorra che mi rallenta. La soluzione e' un bel taglio e questi giorni potrebbero essere quelli giusti per fare quelle pulizie profonde che rimando sempre.

Avere fiducia in qualcuno diventa sempre più difficile con il tempo e l'esperienza. Il fatto che si abbiano molte esperienze negative ovviamente non aiuta verso una valutazione obiettiva. E vero, ho una certa tendenza a non imparare dal passato e a rifare lo stesso errore. Sono troppo sempliciona, credo sempre che ci sia un pizzico di umanità e buon cuore in tutti. Di solito, si dice che si ottiene ciò che si da. Sento che ho dato fin troppo r non ho ottenuto granché. E' anche vero che certe persone dovrebbero avere molto più di quello che ho dato. Ci sono sempre le eccezioni. E per queste persone, non importa cosa torna indietro, mi dedico a loro in tutto.

Definire la mia identità professionale sarebbe un'altra bella mossa nel mio piano. Ho un po sopravvalutato questa strada del dottorato, e sono tornata su quella decisione un paio di volte. Non che sia una decisione sbagliata, anzi. Ma con il voler perseguire una carriera nella ricerca scientifica, sto facendo la cosa giusta? E se facessi un cambio radicale? Questo periodo sembra adatto per farci un pensierino...

Per la salute in generale non mi lamento. Corro una volta a settimana, più o meno, occasionalmente faccio yoga e esercizi di potenziamento. Quindi il corpo sta bene, anche se ho preso troppi raffreddori. Forse il sistema immunitario e' debole, a causa dello stress. E' stato, questo, un anno pieno di stress devo dire. C'e' anche il fatto che non ballo più salsa (il mio vero anti stress) come prima, e ovviamente questo ha un grosso impatto sui livelli di tossine.

Ora, un messaggio da portare con voi:

Non importa dove siete, a sciare o a correre, a casa a non far nulla o a letto, a lavorare o viaggiare, non importa. Prendete una pausa, respirate, lasciate che tutto attorno a voi sparisca, godetevi il silenzio, liberate la mente e ricominciate da zero.


Buon anno a tutti.


No comments:

Post a Comment