Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pay day treat - Trattamento da giorno di paga

Some time ago I had decided that every month, when pay day arrives, I shall buy myself something as a small treat to the completion of yet one more month of hard work, and also to think less of the fact that I live alone in a foreign country. I have to find as many reasons as possible to be happy. The things I buy don't necessarily have to be something big or spectacular, even just a dress or a lipstick, or a new cushion....something.

Last month I decided to go bigger, I want to spoil myself a bit more than usual, just once, I am in need of a break so desperately, I want to get away from everyone for just a short while, I need to recharge my batteries. So, the month's gift to myself is a two-day hotel booking in....Tokyo! Why not. Like being a tourist in your own city.

So, straight from the office, in the evening, I head home, grab the travel bag and I go to the hotel. Check-in done in minutes, shower and dress up for a drink with friends, without finally being worried to miss the last train..this time, a short walk from Shiodome is my way home. I took them to a bar with the Tokyo bay in sight, 46 floors above the sea level, for a nice glass of wine with a view.

All I had planned to do in those two days, didn't happen, of course. Meaning that I didn't buy books to read, I didn't take photographs, I didn't visit any museum, I didn't explore much, I just slept for most of the day, I watched the London Olympic Games (and was amazed once again by Japanese commercials and TV programs), I went out only to find a place to eat. I was in great company the whole time, I spent some quality time with great friends, I discovered a few new places to hang out, like a Spanish wine bar and a sushi restaurant in Shinbashi, a Japanese style yakitori restaurant close to the world trade center.

It was, in the end, a very quiet and relaxing break from the chaos of every day life, and it was totally worth it. Too bad it lasted only two days…

**************

Qualche tempo fa ho deciso che ogni mese, quando e' giorno di paga, devo comprarmi qualcosa come piccolo regalo per aver completato un altro mese di lavoro, e anche per pensare meno al fatto che vivo da sola in un paese straniero. Devo trovare quante più ragioni possibili per essere felice. Quello che compro non deve essere necessariamente qualcosa di plateale, anche solo un abito, un rossetto o un nuovo cuscino…qualcosa, insomma!

Lo scorso mese pero' ho deciso di fare le cose in grande, per una volta voglio viziarmi, ho un disperato bisogno di staccare e voglio stare lontano da tutti per un po', ho bisogno di ricaricare le batterie. Quindi, il regalo a me stessa del mese e' due giorni in hotel…a Tokyo! Perché no. E' come essere un turista nella propria città.

E così la sera, direttamente dall'ufficio, mi dirigo a casa, carico in spalla la borsa da viaggio, e vado in hotel. Check-in finalizzato in pochissimi minuti, doccia e cambio d'abito per un drink con amici, finalmente senza la preoccupazione di dover prendere l'ultimo treno per tornare a casa....stavolta, a due passi dai grattacieli di Shiodome, torno a piedi, quando mi pare!
Ne abbiamo approfittato per bere un buon vino al bar, 46 piani sul livello de mare, con la vista sulla baia di Tokyo.

Tutto quello che avevo progettato di fare in quei due giorni e' andato in fumo. Nel senso che,non ho comprato libri da leggere, non ho fatto foto, non ho visitato nessun museo, ho praticamente dormito per la maggior parte del giorno, ho guardato le Olimpiadi di Londra (e ancora una volta mi sono meravigliata di fronte ai programmi e alla pubblicità giapponese), sono uscita solo per mangiare. Sono stata in buonissima compagnia tutto il tempo, ho passato del tempo con carissimi amici, ho scoperto un paio di nuovi posti come un'enoteca di stampo spagnolo e un ritornate di sughi a Shinbashi, un ristorante di yakitori, tipico giapponese vicino al world trade center. 

E' stata in definitiva una pausa rilassante dal caos della vita di tutti i giorni e ne e' valsa proprio la pena. Peccato che e' durato solo due giorni…






No comments:

Post a Comment